I hope to be able to try it this weekend! I love to see your versions of my recipes! It is possible to cook this recipe with dried green lentils. Everything else remains the same, even the cooking time. If you want the recipe to come out exactly as mine did I would suggest cooking the lentils first. Cook in a pan for a speedy dinner or use a slow cooker for a more leisurely approach. I actually removed the raita part of the recipe but must have missed a bit when I was deleting it which is why you were seeing the directions but no ingredients. Thanks so much for linking up with us for #HealthyVeganFridays! In this recipe, green lentils are cooked with a mixture of spices, onions, lots of garlic and broth. The results are almost identical except that in the slow cooker it is a little harder to evaporate the liquid off completely so you might end up with lentils that are a little more moist than they would be if cooked in a pan. Add ½ tsp of cinnamon stir to mix. Do you know how I would adjust the recipe in the slow cooker if using uncooked lentils? The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only. I’m about to eat this for lunch and I’m so excited I love you!!! Thank you so much! :). Hi Dan. I'm loving all of the spicy lentil recipes I've been seeing on the web lately. Add the peas and coriander, adjust the seasoning to taste, then spoon into a 24cm round ovenproof pie dish, level the surface and leave to cool. Split dough into two, roll out first ball to a large circle, and place in bottom of pie pan. You will find that the flavours just keep on developing and it gets better and better the longer it sits. Get my Top 10 reader's favourite recipes e-Cookbook FREE! This recipe serves four hungry people and any leftovers will keep well for up to five days in the fridge. Once cool, add the cod to the filling mixture, then spoon into a shallow, ovenproof dish that just holds everything. In a bowl, add oil and water. I use it a lot. And if you up the liquid you might need to up the spices/seasoning too. Hi Dan, I just wanted to let you know that I tried this in my slow cooker with dried lentils today and it worked really well. If you wanted to try it, it was just basically a cashew cream (cashews blended with some plant-based milk) with a touch of vinegar for some sourness, salt to taste and lots of chopped fresh mint, cilantro and cucumber stirred through. I just used a dry … Stir in garlic, ginger and green chile; cook for 1 minute, stirring often. You can also subscribe without commenting. Pie pan (glass preferred) Method. Glad you enjoyed it Robin :). Green lentils are a very good meat substitute as you will know if you have tried my Lentil Shepherd's Pie or Vegan Meatloaf. Bake the pie for 25 minutes, until golden, and serve. Thank you, mom! Sprinkle the cod all over with sea salt, set aside for 15 minutes, then rinse in cold water, pat dry and refrigerate. Cook on a low heat for 10 mins. Yummy! Add the lentils, broth, Tamari and seasoning. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. It certainly injects new life into lentils! Add the mince, saute until any liquid has evaporated, then add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Saute the onion in a pan over a medium heat until translucent. Made this for a couple of friends this evening. Stir well and cook uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated (about 10 - 15 minutes). I'm featuring it this week =) I'm bookmarking this to make! 1 tbsp vegetable oil1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced ½ tsp ground turmeric 2 tsp garam masala ½ tsp cumin seeds2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced2 tsp grated fresh root ginger2 red chillies, finely chopped 500g beef or lamb mince350g tinned chopped tomatoes 300g frozen peas, defrosted 6½ tbsp (25g) coriander, leaves picked, For the topping1kg peeled potatoes, cut into chunks150ml milk80g unsalted butter1 tsp ground turmeric 1 egg yolk. Serve with rice and a scattering of cilantro. I love everything about this! The leftovers can be served with more rice and raita, or they are great served with some flat bread or naan bread for a quick and easy lunch. I'm Melanie McDonald (but you can call me Mel), best-selling cookbook author and creator of A Virtual Vegan. I'm not a fan of spicy food... but enjoy it in Indian food for some reason. I have never cooked them like that so I am not completely sure. Indian beef keema with carrots & potatoes 34 ratings 4.5 out of 5 star rating Keema is a traditional Asian dish made with mince - flavour it with spicy curry powder and pack in … I appreciate the shares. The cod is interchangeable with any firm-fleshed, white fish, such as hake or coley, and the tamarind can be swapped for the juice of half a lime. I like this with steamed broccoli tossed in a little butter and sprinkled with toasted almonds. Add keema and fry till brown. . Dress with the iced tarragon leaves and serve warm. Hi, Mel, I don’ t have any lentils in the pantry, but I do have a bag of tiny matpe beans that I’ve used for another recipe. My goal is to give you the confidence to cook and bake great vegan food from scratch. They don't take long at all to cook in boiling water. The other spices are pretty mild and the raita works perfectly to cool things down too. They make it look really pretty when serving but some fresh cilantro leaves also add a pop of colour if you don't want to add any extra heat. I started to realize that readers were put off by recipes with really long ingredients lists so I thought I'd shorten this up a bit by just leaving the keema lentils. I agree that Indian style foods are awesome. Add the tomatoes and tamarind, cook for 10 minutes, then stir in the coriander and leave to cool. It is flavoured just like the beef keema we sometimes have. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Add cheese, stir to mix (optional, omit if vegan). Thank you for a lovely recipe. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is puffed up and golden. Let me know what you think! Add the turmeric, garam masala and cumin, toast for two minutes, then add the garlic, ginger and chilli, and saute for five minutes, until soft and lightly browned. 3 red onions4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks2 tbsp vegetable oil½ tsp fine table salt30g whole blanched hazelnuts15g butter15g caster sugar2 tsp balsamic vinegar150g shop-bought puff pastry (or homemade rough puff¾ tbsp (10g) tarragon leaves, put in iced water. If you make it please hit the stars to rate it and leave me some feedback below. Whether it would be more or less I can't say. This looks incredible. It has a really deep flavour and works really well with the earthy lentils.Thanks Kathy! Step 3. Meanwhile, in a heavy, ovenproof frying pan, warm the butter, sugar and balsamic vinegar until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a boil and cook until it has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Replies to my comments I need to find some mushroom broth too. Add the ras el hanout and harissa, cook for a minute, then stir in the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes more, until the sauce has thickened. Cook in a pan for a speedy dinner or use a slow cooker for a more leisurely approach. Don't subscribe Mushroom broth is awesome. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. It depends how much they absorb. Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. It's no secret that I love spicy food and in my pre-vegan days I used to love to order the Keema dishes from our local Indian restaurant. Taking care to protect your hands with a heatproof cloth, remove the pan from the oven, place a large, flat plate on top and quickly flip it over. Calum Franklin’s Moroccan chickpea and feta pie. My Keema Lentils can be cooked in a pan on the hob or in a slow cooker. Four recipes from Britain’s pastry king: an Anglo-Indian cottage pie, a tangy-sweet red onion and carrot tart, a curried fish pie and a Moroccan-spiced vegetable filo pie. I'm really sorry about that! Put 2 tbsp oil in pan, fry onion and garlic until soft. Gently fold the feta, mint and parsley into the cooled pie filling, then spoon into a large ovenproof dish or tagine.One at a time, lay the filo sheets on a board, lightly spray all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Prep 20 minCook 1 hrServes 420ml light olive oil, plus extra to spray2 spanish onions, peeled and sliced2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced1 tsp ras el hanout1 tsp harissa paste200g tinned (ie, ½ tin) chopped tomatoes1 x 280g jar marinated chargrilled peppers, drained and sliced1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed150g feta, broken into 2cm chunks½ bunch mint, picked and roughly chopped½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, picked and roughly chopped5 filo pastry sheetsSea saltWarm the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onions and garlic, and saute gently for 15 minutes, until soft. Be careful when flipping over the pan at the end of the cooking, and remember to use a cloth on the handle, because it will have just come out of the oven. I can't wait to try these! Peel the onions, cut them in half through the roots, so they stay intact, then cut each half into four wedges, again through the root. • These recipes are an edited extract from The Pie Room, by Calum Franklin, published by Bloomsbury Absolute at £26. Add the roast vegetables and nuts to the pan, toss in the syrup to coat, then set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Calum Franklin’s keema-spiced cottage pie. Help spread the word. Add 1-2 tsp of curry powder, fry 1-2 min. It sounds perfect for you. Everyone needs some spice in their lives ;o). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Put the carrot chunks and onion wedges in a large roasting tray, toss with the vegetable oil and salt, then spread over the base of the tray. Thanks so much Jenn! Making these tonight for dinner! Prick the pastry all over with a fork. These spicy & flavourful Indian style Keema Lentils are ridiculously easy to make. Add all the spices and simmer for a further 5-7 mins. I'll try that next time I make it!