Effective date: The start date the VA uses to determine when VA compensation payments should begin, “based on the veteran’s claim or the date when the veteran is diagnosed with the condition to be compensated.”. Do you know when I will start getting paid?”. However, when the first business day of the month falls on a Click HERE to view the full 2020 VA disability pay chart. So let’s dive right into the VA payment schedule for 2020. Click HERE now. Veterans may search for and appoint an accredited VSO by clicking HERE. The other type of VA disability claim may fall under a “presumptive service connection.” VA rules in this area state that in many cases, if the VA assumes your condition is related to military service and the agency gets a medical claim for conditions that fall into the presumptive category “within one year of your separation from active service—then the effective date is the date you first got your illness or injury.”. The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement. One of the questions I get asked all the time is this: “Brian, I got my new VA disability rating thanks to you and VA Claims Insider Elite, but I want to know the actual VA pay dates for 2020. For example, the January 2020 VA disability compensation payment will be paid on January 31, 2020, which is the last business day prior to the first of the next month (February). But you might not be entitled to compensation based on that date IF you apply within a certain date range AFTER leaving military service (365 days–for more info see below). The VA Claims Insider® name and logo are registered trademarks of VA Claims Insider, LLC. The effective date of your claim also plays a role, and there may be cost of living adjustments that are made to the amount which potentially increases the total. VA Staged Claim: In some cases, a veteran’s condition may get worse during the review process. Military Benefits Information for US Military, Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, Military Spouses and Military Family. This is known in VA circles as a pre-service disability claim. However, it’s not uncommon for veterans to experience delays of up to several months in the VA disability back pay timeline, as well as for other retroactive benefits. Information listed on this website, including but not limited to, success percentages, disability rating increases, and processing timelines are averages and not specific to any one claim. The timing of the claim plays an important part in determining who will have back pay dated from the time the VA gets the paperwork. [LIVE] with Brian Reese VA Claims Insider: Hi Veterans, how would you like to learn 3 VA disability claim SECRETS from actual VA Rating Officials, aka, the people who determine your final VA rating? When the Department of Veterans Affairs receives your claim and begins processing it, it may determine that there is a “direct service connection.” The VA Disability Compensation Effective Date which will help determine whether or not you are entitled to VA disability back pay depending on when your pay actually started versus one of two factors: In cases where the VA gets a veteran’s claim within a year of leaving the military, “the effective date can be as early as the day following separation”. USAA pay dates and Navy Federal pay dates for 2020 VA disability compensation rates will arrive 1-2 days prior if you’re doing direct deposit from the VA. For example, I use direct deposit for my VA compensation payment, which goes directly to my Navy Federal checking account each month. This is the date you are effectively considered a civilian and is after any terminal leave, permissive TDY, etc. payment will be paid on January 31, 2020, which is the last business day prior The 2020 COLA jump was 1.6%, which means disabled veterans rated at 10% or higher by the VA will receive a 1.6% increase in their 2020 VA pay rates. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. But there is also an appeals process that can extend a veteran’s options, and some veterans have better results getting the help of a Veterans Service Officer (VSO) or hiring a lawyer with specific experience with VA medical claims. If you’re stuck, frustrated, underrated, and currently rated between 0%-90%, VA Claims Insider Elite is for you! If you file for VA compensation before a full 365 days has elapsed since your military discharge, you have a chance to have the back pay start when your injury or other medical problem manifests itself (according to your medical records). The November 2019 VA payment should have been paid on November 29, 2019, but yet, it arrived in my Navy Federal Checking Account two days early, on November 27, 2019. Technically speaking, there is no statute of limitations on filing an initial VA claim. [FREE VIDEO], >> Top 10 High-Value VA Disability Claims Explained [FREE EBOOK], >> The Secret Guide to 833 Ratable VA Disabilities [FREE EBOOK], >> The Insider’s Guide to VA Claims for Sleep Apnea [FREE EBOOK]. But not all service members will have the circumstance or opportunity to do this; VA rules state that a service member can apply before or after leaving military service, though the window for doing so after becoming a civilian may be limited depending on circumstances. As a fellow disabled Veteran this is shameful and I’m on a mission to change it. These are some terms and definitions to keep in mind: Claim date: This usually refers to the date the VA received the veteran’s medical claim. VA Claims Insider, LLC is NOT an accredited agent, VSO, attorney, or entity recognized by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and is not affiliated with the VA in any way. (Read more about presumptive conditions below.). You have the option upon leaving military service to file a VA claim for compensation as part of your final out-processing appointments in many cases, even if you are retiring or separating from an overseas location. You won’t be required to provide all your supporting documentation at the time you fill out your claim, but expect to submit your military medical records, and any records that pertain to out-of-network care, civilian care, etc. In general, the wisdom you will find when trying to get an answer about VA claims and time limits on them can be a bit confusing. Copyright © 2020 VA Claims Insider, LLC. In essence, the longer the VA claims process takes before you start receiving disability payments, the larger your back pay could be depending on how long between the first payment and the effective date of those payments. Separation date: The date you are no longer legally obligated to perform active military service. The veteran had issues related to active-duty service that didn’t appear until after retiring or separating from the military. But in cases where the veteran wins the appeal, the difference can be thousands of dollars over the lifetime of a compensable claim depending on circumstances. All Rights Reserved. The potential for missing out on pay is high and it is very important to fully understand the details. Disclaimer: This is a private website that is NOT affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. Families, what do you say to a Veteran on Veterans Day? In these circumstances, the veteran will have her condition reviewed for a staged rating which may result in a staggered amount of compensation based on the severity of the condition or how severe it becomes over time. To learn more about back pay from the VA, click HERE. Are you finally ready to get the VA disability rating and compensation YOU deserve? Brian Reese here, USAF 100% disabled veteran, and founder of VA Claims Insider. It’s FREE to get started, so click “Go Elite Now” below to complete our 3-step intake process. So if you’re a disabled veteran or a family member, I built this 2020 VA pay dates tracker to help you know “when” your monthly tax-free VA compensation will be direct deposited into your checking or savings account. Awe yes, a very good question, and an important one for disabled veterans and their families. VA back pay does not come in a fixed amount. Join VA Claims Insider Elite get over $13,119 worth of bonuses right now, and have our medical team get started on your VA disability claim for FREE: Click the video below to watch: VA Disability Rates 2020 – Did Veterans Get a VA Disability Pay Increase?