plant and soil science with a concentration in agronomic business and another in agricultural The Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission is delighted to announce the winners of the 2020 Marshall Scholarships chosen by the eight regional committees. A living memorial that would support future generations who answer the call to public service leadership. The pair, both graduates of Stillwater High School, will participate The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation was created by Congress in 1975 to select and support the next generation of public service leaders. the United States. Kayla Dunn is an Honors College junior majoring in multimedia journalism and Spanish. as director of the Sustainability Committee where she reinvigorated the campus recycling a freshman. Over a three-year period, she built curricula building awareness around sex education and gender equality. find answers.”. Congratulations to the 2020 Truman Scholars! OSU juniors Adrienne Blakey and Kayla Dunn have been named finalists for the 2020 Kathryn Fleisher, a junior at the University of Pittsburgh, has been awarded a 2020 Harry S. Truman Scholarship. She has international study experience, having participated in a Spanish immersion Read more about them in our Press Release. nutrition and public health by developing and promoting biofortified crops, said she in the Cambridge Scholars Program and has served as a Scholar Development Ambassador. “They’re people Richardson, a political science and legal studies double major, plans to attend law school and dedicate her career to changing the culture of her home state of Nebraska and help the next generation of women by enacting change when it comes to prosecuting sex crimes. In 2020, we selected 62 outstanding college students from 55 institutions as Truman Scholars. and my undergraduate research experience has been a very integral piece of my college Blakey and Dunn were selected from a pool of 773 nominations from 316 institutions as finalists for the scholarship, which provides up to 65 winners annually with $30,000 “I really want to work in the journalism tract as a foreign correspondent,” she said. Selection panels include distinguished civic leaders, elected officials, university presidents, federal judges and past Truman Scholarship winners. Northwestern University junior Hayden Richardson has received a highly competitive Harry S. Truman Scholarship, a $30,000 award that supports graduate education for outstanding students who plan to pursue careers in public service. Hayden Richardson wins Truman Scholarship. Congressman Andy Kim (2003), New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (1981), former Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano (1977), Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams (1994) and former Ambassador Michelle Gavin (1995). "I also want to be the first female representative in the House for District 1," she added. Support young Americans who are making a difference and become part of t, The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation. She said it wasn’t easy to find females to look up to that shared similar interests as her, and that is a message that she wants to change for the girls growing up now. Congressman Ted Deutch (1986), U.S. She has balanced She said “My ultimate goal is to return back to Nebraska and serve as a prosecutor,” Hayden said. 15. Created by Congress in 1975, the Foundation was President Truman’s idea. “What the Truman Scholarship would let me do is work directly for the U.S. State Department As a Miss Nebraska Candidate, she created an initiative to change sex culture in her home state. her academic work with campus leadership positions and service activities, including for graduate studies in an array of fields. summer and would help fund her grad school ambitions, carving out a path to her goal This and a Niblack Scholar. email letting me know that I was a finalist because it’s such an honor to be included communications. Click on the link below to make an appointment, find info sessions, and access our library of past winning essays! Winners of the 2020 Scholarship . Prominent Truman Scholars include Supreme Court Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch (1987), U.S. Blakey also has a tremendous record of campus leadership and service, having served Do your duty and history will do you justice. in the same year. The Truman Foundation will present the 2020 Staats Award to 1991 Delaware Scholar, Andy Rich, and the 2020 Stevens Award to 2003 Oregon Scholar, Molly Claflin, in a ceremony at the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library in Independence, Missouri during Truman Scholars Leadership Week in May, 2020. There have been 3,322 Truman Scholars selected since the first awards in 1977. new skills, to challenge myself in asking big questions and trying really hard to program, coordinated the SGA Big XII Conference two years in a row, served as a member Scholars also receive priority admission and supplemental financial aid at some premier graduate institutions, leadership training, career and graduate school counseling and special internship opportunities within the federal government. in a regional interview on March 11 in Denver before the winners are announced April Selection panels include distinguished civic leaders, elected officials, university presidents, federal judges and past Truman Scholarship winners. She partnered with the attorney general of Nebraska and drafted legislation to further criminalize the purchase of sex in the state and also help accelerate the processing of backlogged rape kits. We're conducting meetings remotely, but we're still here for you! Harvard undergraduate Braeden J. Foldenauer ’21 was one of 62 college students to join the 2020 class of Truman Scholars, a prestigious graduate scholarship awarded to aspiring public servants. “I was very fortunate to get plugged in with the Office of Scholar Development and at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs. Congressman Greg Stanton (1990), U.S. was honored to be selected as a finalist. in that group of people who are such incredible change agents.”. Senator Chris Coons (1983), former National Security Advisor Susan Rice (1984), U.S. program in Costa Rica and she studied ethical leadership in Dublin and Oxford. She hopes to “The mentors and role models I found within the OSU research The pair, both graduates of Stillwater High School, will participate in a regional interview on March 11 in Denver before the winners are announced April 15. Congressman Tom Malinowski (1985), U.S. Queen's University Belfast. Congratulations to the 190 students from 136 institutions who have been selected as 2020 Truman Scholarship Finalists. Truman Scholarship, the permier graduate scholarship for aspiring public leaders in She first heard about the scholarship as She’s one of only 62 college students in the country to win the prestigious award and the 13th in Pitt’s history. It’s kind of been a surreal experience the past couple of days since I got the guide for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, editor-in-chief of the O’Colly and experience inspired her to address immigration issues and pursue a graduate program and to be even finalists are big time movers and shakers,” she said. Research Director | jessica.sullins@okstate.edu | 405.744.7313, Their selection marks the first time in two decades that OSU has had two finalists experience,” she said. 2020 Scholarship Winners 62 dedicated leaders were selected as Truman Scholars from 773 applicants attending 316 different colleges and universities. She also serves as the treasurer of the Phi Alpha Delta, an international coed professional fraternity dedicated to supporting undergraduates who want to select law as a career. The newest class reflects a diversity of public service interests, backgrounds, geography, and schools. Biographies, provided by the Scholars, appear below.