There are plots and sub plots here that weave themselves into a fine mess before the whole thing is resolved. Inspector Steine is being conned into paying for the honor of being featured at the Museum of Wax, and Sergeant Brunswick is trying (and failing) to get the attention of the distraught Brighton Belles who found the body. Two blocks away there was an 80-acre farm that alternated between growing corn and peppers. Works every time. Surely, there has never been a police force that malfunctions as actively and continuously as the Brighton P.D. ga('ec:addProduct', The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. ga('send', 'event', 'UX', 'click', 'add to cart'); Sergeant Brunswick is going undercover as a trumpet player in the Black Cat night club to observe nefarious goings-on. Our incomparable team of detectives are back for another outing in the second installment of Lynne Truss's joyfully quirky crime series. The Times on A SHOT IN THE DARK, “With plenty of brightly coloured bucket-and-spadery, including ghost trains and Punch and Judy and variety acts, this clever, tongue-in-cheek escapade is a perfect summer read.” –  “A worthy follow-up to her delightful 2018 novel A Shot in the Dark. }); $('#addtocartbutton-409549').click(function() { GENERAL MYSTERY & DETECTIVE | And then there is a man going about town claiming to be a local lord trying to get people to buy gold bars from him for cheap (a brilliantly funny play on modern internet scams). Share on. The period touches are nice but the storyline(s) creak a bit and the characters are not as memorable as perhaps Ms Truss hopes they are. Please try again. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Lynne Truss also hosted Cutting a Dash, a popular BBC Radio 4 series about punctuation. 'id': '9781635570755', ), Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 4, 2019, The second installment of constable Twitten (even that name is darkly funny) and the criminal activity of Brighton in the 1950s, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 23, 2020. Constable Twitten is trying to convince his superiors that the station charlady is a murderous master criminal. He must of course look into this case, with a body and a missing head. I know this takes pace in the 1950s, but it is hared to believe this would have happened back then. I sat down to write my review on a laptop that was, interestingly enough, purchased online from the inside of my friend's car late one night after visiting a neighbor who worked as a nurse and had a peculiar scar on his chin in the shape of New Jersey. She now reviews books for the Sunday Times of London and is a familiar voice on BBC Radio 4. Share on. Very clever farce in the spirit of 1950's Alec Guinness crime comedies like "The Ladykillers" and "The Lavender Hill Mob." Liberty Is Dead: A Canadian in Germany, 1938 (Paperback or Softback). Please try again. . The station charlady, Mrs. Groynes, is a criminal mastermind hiding in plain sight. 'id': '9781635575972', 'name': 'The Man That Got Away' Too relentlessly facetious to take seriously but more frantic than funny. MYSTERY & DETECTIVE | GENERAL & DOMESTIC THRILLER, by { Published July 2019 . ga('ec:setAction', 'add'); She lives in Brighton, England. This is the price (excluding shipping and handling fees) a seller has provided at which the same item, or one that is nearly identical to it, is being offered for sale or has been offered for sale in the recent past. COZY MYSTERY, by The Man That Got Away A Constable Twitten Mystery 2. Published July 2019 . It is summer in Brighton and the Brighton Belles are on hand to answer any holidaymaker’s queries, no matter how big or small. Having read the first in this series I was delighted to get my hands on this. Give to Truss' fans as well as those who enjoy Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May mysteries.” –  I especially liked the setting of 1950’s Brighton. God I love this mystery series! Chock full of clues, criss-crossing subplots and wry dialogue, Truss' latest is a pleasure from start to finish.” –  The quickest way to the station, how many pebbles are on the beach and what exactly has happened to that young man lying in the deckchair with blood dripping from him? Please try again. Further enlightenment arrives, along with further mystification, when Peter Dupont, the neophyte town council clerk Twitten overheard, is found with his throat cut, and his girlfriend turns out to be Deirdre Benson, whose brothers, Frank and Bruce, along with their mother, run a profitable family crime syndicate out of the Black Cat club. Kathy Reichs It is summer in Brighton and the Brighton Belles are on hand to answer any holidaymaker’s queries, no matter how big or small. Laboring to remember all the proper names the couple dropped—Blackmore, Hoagland, Dickie—Twitten has no clue that he’s stumbled onto the tip of a very large and felonious iceberg. If you have any questions related to the pricing and/or discount offered in a particular listing, please contact the seller for that listing. The Man Who Got Away With It by Bernice Carey, 1950, Published for the Crime Club by Doubleday & Company edition, in English - 1st ed. Guardian on A SHOT IN THE DARK, “It takes a writer of Lynne Truss's wit and intelligence ... to take on both the cosy and comic fields, shaking them up to forge something fresh and beguiling ... Delightfully witty.” –  I'm especially keen to dark comedies, and both these works were in that genre. I’ll decide whether I can recommend after I read the next one. 2.5 stars. It is not funny, it is pathetic. And neither Sergeant Brunswick nor Inspector Steine has gotten a clue in the meantime either. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal. Probably closer to 3 and 1/2. 'id': '9781635570571', The Man That Got Away is a dark, screwball crime novel in the vein of the 1955 British film The Ladykillers that will also appeal to fans of Truss' runaway bestselling grammar guide, Eats, Shoots & Leaves-as well as Anglophiles in general. Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. Wot Larks!! Recommend reading the first book in series to get the full story. Booklist on A SHOT IN THE DARK, “This farcical tale is packed with interwoven plotlines, clues strewn about like confetti and a comically oblivious chief inspector. The author also wrote the best-selling "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," and her love of English is in itself a treat.