Sweet, creamy, salty, and tangy — it’s a decadent dessert that encompasses all your taste buds. Hey Mark, Thanks for another excellent video. Thanks for sharing! err.push("Checking %s is required".replace("%s", elems[i].value)); Thank you for this! if (!no_error) { Learn how your comment data is processed. And there’s a good reason for that, sticky rice is one of the major staples of Thai cuisine… that is, in certain regions of Thailand (we’ll go over that in detail in this post). Sticky rice is also used to make scrumptious Thai desserts, such as. Mind you I’m a Thai living in England for a long time, but you certainly taught me a thing or two about my country and about cooking sticky rice. If you have a few minutes, definitely press play to watch the video below. Thick, sweet, tropical and tangy — Thai Mango Sticky Rice is a summertime staple that should be in your dessert repertoire. How do we soften the cooked sticky rice if it becomes crusty ? Get addicted to the mouthwatering taste of thai rice sticks and stay healthy var validate_form = function(e) { var input = allInputs[i]; script.onload = script.onreadystatechange = function() { e.preventDefault(); I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and I would be thrilled if you would leave a comment below, and share this recipe with someone you know who loves Thai food as well. } else { The reason is, green curry originates from the central region of Thailand, where regular rice is the staple. Hello Mark, You never know what path it will lead you down. addEvent(window, 'resize', resize_tooltips); I cook sticky rice in a rice cooker all the time, and it is the pretty much the same as what I had in Chiangmai. } Fascinated by your article! Massaman and sticky rice – our favourite meal. Just made my first batch of Thai sticky rice today with an open pressure cooker/metal colander/cheesecloth concoction…it worked! Before that, he cooked for years at restaurants in Boston and Chicago, working at Rialto, Clio, and Parachute, where he was a sous chef. In Thai, sticky rice is called khao neow (ข้าวเหนียว), which literally means rice sticky. You need two ‘splatter screens’–basically a sieve but flat–available at the dollar store. Using lessons learned from the failed Lor Mai Kai attempt. I love how you not just provided the recipe, but the background of the rice. if (needs_validate(elem)) { This search takes into account your taste preferences. I am also sensitive to MSG. I would just recommend anyone who’s trying to cook sticky rice to monitor their cooking times closely as they will no doubt vary greatly depending on what apparatus they have set up. Food is a universal language that everyone can relate too. var elems = form_to_submit.elements[elem.name]; It has to be soaked and then steamed above water. Enjoy! var head = document.querySelector('head'), script = document.createElement('script'), r = false; Shows you what I know cause sticky rice with green curry sounds great!! Yes, dried pandan leaves should be able to be used. I have made sticky rice a couple of times recently and had researched the best methods of cooking it. if (no_error && /date_field/.test(elem.className)) { submitted = true; (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); A kradib khao neow (กระติ๊บข้าวเหนียว) keeps the rice from getting hard and crusty on the edges, and though it eventually does cool off, it remains soft and fluffy throughout the day. tooltips[i].tip.parentNode.removeChild(tooltips[i].tip); It will explain exactly how to make sticky rice, right from my Thai street food cart! Replace the bowl and continue cooking. Transfer rice to a heatproof bowl and cover it with a plate (you can discard the cheesecloth at this point, or if you used a bamboo steamer and wish to use the steamer basket as a serving vessel, keep the rice in its cheesecloth parcel and unwrap it right before serving). My only issues with cooking in Thailand is that it is soooo inexpensive go out and buy a meal for a dollar or two, I get wrapped up in the convenience of it all, lol. Still want to make this style however as it’s a sweet I crave a lot! I’ll go have a look for it at the market and attempt to make up a big feed of sticky rice!! 4,000 years of being in-grained into Isaan and northern Thailand, and you can imagine how sticky rice is not only a part of meals, but it’s a major part of culture. I think someone needs to have thier eyes checked, When that rice came out of the steamer it was still stick & stuck together in clumps, It could easily be seen the spoon flipping it over the rice was still stuck together and clumpy, And when the blind fool grabbed some rice to test it he pulled the rice up with 2 or 3 fingers and it was 1 big clump,,, Someone needs to know the difference between fluffy not sticking and clumpy lumps of rice.