We truly appreciate your support. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. Thrift can refer to someone’s earnings, which makes a spendthrift someone who spends his or her income. Are bleach solutions still routinely used in biochemistry laboratories to rid surfaces of bacteria, viruses, certain enzymes and nucleic acids? Delayed and precocious are two of the opposites that can be found in this online dictionary of opposites. While thrifty refers to being economical with money, spendthrift means the exact opposite—someone who spends money irresponsibly. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! Another word for spendthrift. spendthrift synonyms, spendthrift pronunciation, spendthrift translation, English dictionary definition of spendthrift. How to prove episodes of academic misconduct? thrift originally meant your savings (a noun), not the adjective "to save or spend carefully". He was now esteemed quite worthy to address the daughter of a foolish, I PAID three pennies for my breakfast, and a most extravagant price it was, too, seeing that one could have breakfasted a dozen persons for that money; but I was feeling good by this time, and I had always been a kind of, I don't want to renew our old disagreement about your father's conduct to those two sisters, or to deny that his brother Andrew may have behaved badly to him; I am willing to admit that the high moral position he took in the matter is quite unassailable by such a miserable sinner as I am; and I will not dispute that my own. Do mirrors extend a Medusa's Petrifying Gaze? Spendthrifts are more spendy than thrifty, so the word spendthrift doesn’t seem to make much sense. rev 2020.11.11.37991, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. When did Asian come to mean only certain parts of Asia such as the East? Why is it wrong to answer a question with a tautology? This week on That’s What They Say, host Rina Miller and University of Michigan English Professor Anne Curzan discuss the seemingly oxymoronic word spendthrift. Also in OED, the meaning of being frugal seemed to come about 2 centuries later. 12 Nov. 2020. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. "But in some instances, a single word is all it takes. So you are spending your savings or wealth (what makes you prosperous.). Find all the synonyms and alternative words for spendthrift at Synonyms.com, the largest free online thesaurus, antonyms, definitions and translations resource on the web. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. “Thrifty comes from the word thrive, meaning ‘to prosper,’” Curzan explains. Synonyms.com. Define spendthrift. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Thanks for your vote! Etymological relationship between “to” and “too”, Difference between promptness and promptitude. This site allows you to find in one place, all the synonyms and antonyms of the English language. What crimes have been committed or attempted in space? However, it is the noun thrift, not the adjective thrifty, which led to spendthrift. All men have an equal right to the free development of their faculties they have an equal right to the impartial protection of the state but it is not true, it is against all the laws of reason and equity, it is against the eternal nature of things, that the indolent man and the laborious man, the spendthrift and the economist, the imprudent and the wise, should obtain and enjoy an equal amount of goods. See more. I too was confused by this compound word, because it would seem logically that a "spendthrift" (spends all their money) would be equivalent to a "thrifty spender" (saves their money). Why do these angles look weird in my logo? In your daily life, for writing an email, a text, an essay, if you want to avoid repetitions or find the opposite meaning of a word. A person who spends money or resources wastefully: Characterized by excessive or imprudent spending: a person who spends his money freely and carelessly. When would you use 30分 versus 半 for telling time? Therefore, "thrifty" conveys describing someone or something as having a money-saving nature, while "spendthrift" conveys a person who, Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. How to break the cycle of taking on more debt to pay the rates for debt I already have? Will you add dingthrift to your vocabulary? Why is "hand recount" better than "computer rescan"? After Urdu to English translation of Spendthrift, If you have issues in pronunciation than you can hear the audio of it in the online dictionary. Thrift can refer to someone’s earnings, which makes a spendthrift someone who spends his or her income. Get instant synonyms for any word that hits you anywhere on the web! What is the name of this game with a silver-haired elf-like character? rozmařilý, rozmařilec, hýřil, utrácivý, hojný, opulentní, marnotratník, gastador, gastadora, pródigo, derrochador. Can someone re-license my project under a different license. Filling a shape with intersecting lines in TikZ. Of course they're not synonymous. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. How did the meaning of “come off” as “succeed” or “take place” originate? Antonyms list is not only for beginners but for 2nd grade, grade 4, competitive exams, grade 3 and for all the other grades. spendthrift, spend-all, spender, scattergood(adj), Synonyms:spend-all, disburser, spender, scattergood, expender, extravagant, prodigal, profligate, spendthrift(adj), Synonyms:profligate, excessive, debauched, prodigal, libertine, degraded, riotous, dissolute, fast, dissipated, overweening, exuberant, degenerate, extravagant, Synonyms:prodigal, squanderer, waster, UNTHRIFT, Synonyms:waster, spender, prodigal, squanderer.