No need to boost volume for this curl type, as these spirals create fullness by bouncing off each other. ... Solange Knowles, Macy Gray. You can also try using a texturizing product from root to tip to give your hair more volume. Then start utilizing a deep conditioning mask almost as often as you wash your hair. But our hearts almost stopped when the video opened with the sultry starlet rocking box braids, heavily adorned with an array of pretty beads and cute cowrie shells. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Type 2 hair incorporates natural waves that can range from barely noticeable to being mistaken for curly hair. But her hairstyles are also dangerously reminiscent of growing up, of all the hair accessories and tools that kept our manes in place while adding a hint of personality. But this time, I’m not harming my hair or my scalp to do so. To preserve the bouncy shape of waves and keep them from tangling, use gentle shampoo and conditioner formulas like the GH Beauty Lab test-winning Garnier Fructis Full and Plush duo to soften hair without compromising its volume. and lastly. The roots of this hair type may not seem defined, but the ends tend to have a clear curl pattern. Think of hair types as your group of friends: each person has a different personality and reacts differently to different situations. We recommend alcohol-free Dove Amplified Textures Shine and Moisture Finishing Gel to enhance natural curly texture, made with softening jojoba and coconut oils. I remember sitting in my dorm room watching natural hair tutorials on Youtube, when I really should’ve been writing papers. To revisit this article, select My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories. But that was never her intention. Professional, explains “The benefits of healthy protective styling are length retention, stress free maintenance, and versatility. "This helps hair retain hydration for healthier curls," she explains. that Solange is bringing to the fashion world and hope that she continues to be an inspiration to black girls everywhere. Type 1 is hair that is naturally straight with no curl pattern. This shape borders between wavy and curly hair. This hair type starts to form loose spiral curls and has that “S” shape. "One of my favorite products for all kinks, coils, curls, and waves is my Mist Nourishing Water which is fantastic primer before styling in a non-aerosol spray; a little goes a long way and hair looks instantly hydrated.". All rights reserved. Now that [my hair is] growing back, I’m kind of in that in-between stage. Solange happens to be a spokesperson for a line of Carol's Daughter hair products marketed for "transitioning" from processed to natural hair. Sunday night for my childhood self meant hell night. It's a lot to think about, so we asked two industry texture pros to break down some of the finer points of the texture typing categories. Over the years, scientists have attempted to classify curliness by measuring different parameters of the hair fiber. This hair type can have either a compact zigzag pattern that doesn’t twist around itself or tightly-wound s-shaped curls. Dark pink, a friendly, unassuming shade. The chemical bonds in your hair also contribute to your curl pattern. © 2020 Condé Nast. Type 1 hair is our straight shooter, also known as straight hair. A simple breakdown: Type 1s are straight, Type 2s are wavy, Type 3s are curly, and Type 4s are coily. She was experimenting with new music styles, recovering from a divorce, raising a child, and finding her own image by refusing to be in the shadow of her older sister. We would all love it if the exact routine that our favorite YouTuber or influencer uses can work as perfect for us as it does for them, but that is not always the case. “I honestly was just tired of the energy surrounding my hair,” she explains. All rights reserved. Solange was rocking big earrings, mixed-print outfits, and bold lipsticks that showcased her tiny bed of curls, while I was rushing to my next class and adjusting my head wrap. Sabina Wizemann is a senior chemist in the Health, Beauty & Environmental Sciences Lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute, where she conceives, creates and carries out experiments to evaluate beauty and health products. Follow our easy tip sheet below (complete with recommendations for your hair-care stash) to help you better I.D. Trade your Blow Dryer and Straightener for the World’s Only Reverse-Air Dryer. Scrunch the SGX NYC Curl Power Nourishing Curl Cream (an Allure 2019 Best of Beauty winner) into your dry hair to help emphasize the curl texture. In an industry where the African American community is still largely underrepresented, she makes people notice her, most significantly by her transition from long relaxed hair to a natural style. Your hair is the exact same way. Once you find the perfect combo, your curls will be living lavish. Check out the 42 hair-care products that won our Best of Beauty Award this year. Type 3A curls are the largest in diameter and sometimes have a mix of wavy pieces. Consider Type 2 as the happy medium between curls and straight hair. Solange loves black hair. co-washes), which clean and nourish simultaneously with higher ratios of conditioning ingredients. The follicle, just like the hair fiber, can be different shapes and sizes. Try Herbal Essences Bio Renew Hydrate Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner, as this duo provided the highest level of conditioning in our Beauty Lab’s test of moisturizing formulas. It’s a lot of work. Beads and cowrie shells accented her braids, frizzy, puffy hair was celebrated, kinks, dreadlocks and waves were handled with care, meant to be present and pure. The wave shapes diverge slightly from straight lines. "Issa Rae has beautiful coily 4B hair. It was normal, a necessary beauty maintenance that disrupted our comfort, hair growth, and pockets. Solange uses hair to communicate a special code about history and blackness, to narrate stories of black evolution in art, … Type 4B hair has tighter curls with a crimpy pattern. TEXTURE WAVY (2a-2c) Forms a loose “S” very easily straightened. Frizziness can be an issue with this type, so use a sulfate-free, creamy cleanser, like the Oyin Handmade Ginger Mint Co-Wash, so as not to dry out your hair. I think many people are coming into it thinking it’s going to be easy and it’s going to be healthier. Try the SheaMoisture 100% Pure Jamaican Black Castor Oil. As cliche as it sounds, you really do find a new part of yourself in college. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Recommended Products: Look for curl enhancing leave-in conditioners and creams. Here are some tips and suggestions if you want to do the same. This hair type has a slight bend that forms more of “C” shape when dry. Design Essentials Natural Almond & Avocado Curl Enhancing Mousse. Look for shampoos and conditioners that won’t make your hair limp, but instead add a little bit of volume. Teen Vogue covers the latest in celebrity news, politics, fashion, beauty, wellness, lifestyle, and entertainment.