Ah, the dreaded ‘it’s a real opportunity for you to get noticed by senior colleagues’ line. Maybe you know what business you want to start, maybe you don’t. You end up canceling. Your work phone is a parasite. If you’ve lost your passion for your job, open your mind to other opportunities that do speak to you, and start moving in a direction that you genuinely feel passionate about. If you want to have a look at a list of values to see how yours have changed, have a read here. You stare out of your office window, engrossed with ideas of working for yourself in your pyjamas. Monotony is one thing that most people cannot bear as it gives them a terrible sense of stagnation. No one should have the pit in your stomach feeling about work. You worked harder and longer, watching and learning. You’re not stupid, you know that behind those whitened smiles and sunkissed highlights are tales of diarrhea and flight delays which are conveniently left out. Before you quit your current job though, make sure you have an offer letter from your new employer. However, if you can’t quit due to financial reasons or family responsibilities, at least explain your situation to your boss. Are your sick days adding up out of the blue? If you deeply hate your job, then you should absolutely start looking for other opportunities. Everyone works in isolation, departments don’t talk to each other, blame culture permeates. It’s not worth sacrificing your life and health for an employer who doesn’t care if you’re overwhelmed. Which is funny because you don’t seem to be paid any extra. Knowing you want to leave and actually resigning are two very different things. ", My co-workers are nasty and condescending, but at least my salary is decent. Are headhunters reaching out to you? If you know you want to quit your job, what should you do? freelancing could be the answer to your prayers, 7 Common Problems Freelancers Face — and How to Conquer Them Like a Boss, 7 Job Search Motivation Tips (for When You Just Can’t Anymore), 30 Best Companies for Teaching ESL Online From Anywhere, 5 Outstanding Recommendation Letter Samples (+ How to Write Your Own), 25 Most Effective Anti-Procrastination Apps for Laser-Sharp Focus, 15 Best Cash Back Apps for 2020: Earn Money Every Time You Shop, 7 Easiest Countries for U.S. Citizens to Get a Working Holiday Visa: Ultimate Guide, How to Work Remotely From Home (and Crush It), Outstanding Job Description Template for a Remote Job, 17 Most Useful Websites to Find a 100% Remote Job, What You Need to Know Before Starting a Freelance Business. Your chats end with you stopping for breath and saying ‘sorry mate, I’ve just rambled at you for half an hour. 100+ Job Interview Questions and Example Answers, Everything You Need to Know to Quit Your Job, What You Should Write in a Part-Time Job Resignation Letter, warning signs will help you determine if your career needs a makeover, times when you shouldn't leave right away, quit a job after you have said yes to a job offer, "Well, the pay sucks and my boss is a jerk, but my benefits are okay." Start researching things you enjoy, are there any short courses you can do in the meantime? Committing your time and energy to a company that won’t support the progress of your career, or grow with you, will end up hindering the development of your career in the long run. You say yes but add the disclaimer you may be late due to an important deadline. Finding the reason might help you make the situation better. If you’ve tried—and failed—to negotiate a schedule that works for you, consider jobs at other companies with a culture that will accommodate your preferred lifestyle. Asking yourself these questions can help you figure out if freelancing could be right for you. If you want to stay in your industry, start looking for other opportunities. I was nervous to jump into the unknown. That wanderlust made each passing day feel like more of a grind. But rest assured that all opinions remain our own. That being said, before taking the plunge, first, it’s important to ask yourself: The answers to these questions will decide if you should or shouldn’t give up on your current gig. We all love a bit of hindsight though, so here are the 18 glaring signs that tell you if you are ready to quit your job. *If you are experiencing any worrying symptoms, please go and see your Doctor. Signs You Should Quit Your Job and Look for a New One: 1. But if even thinking about your job makes you cringe, it might be time to pack up your desk. Holidays are planned around peak work times. Your browsing history is filled with articles titled, “Should I quit my job if it makes me unhappy,” “what to do when you hate your job,” “how to know if you are in a wrong job.” Each article you click on shouts at you that it’s time to move on. Something must have resonated with you. You are just another cog in an endless turning wheel. While it’s normal to have qualms about the work day, if you truly, deeply dread those eight or so hours at the office, it is time to put in your two weeks' notice. And prepare what you’ll say to your current boss so you don’t burn any bridges. If your colleague gets in their request in first, you have to change your dates. But traveling gives you a chance to explore the world as well as an opportunity to consider a career you actually love. “Trust what your gut is telling you. You just need to get out and get some headspace. Check back over your browsing history, and it is filled with blog posts and articles entitled ‘should you quit your job’, ‘how do I know when to quit’, ‘someone please help me, I hate my job!!’. You’d leave and spend all day wondering if you’d ballsed it up. If you’re on the fence, then you should open your eyes to feelings, thoughts, and happenings in your life that might point to the exit sign. You may furiously leave your office swearing you’ll put your two weeks' notice in soon. You might also have reached the point of burnout if you feel enormous freedom when the weekend rolls around but dread returning to the office at its end. It’s for anyone who wants to break out of the 9 to 5 and design their lifestyle on their terms. ". You Find Yourself Justifying Your Job, Should You Quit? But there are some times when you shouldn't leave right away. No one looking over your shoulder or hours of mind-numbing meetings. I used to ponder, “Why can’t my life be like theirs?’ whenever another #livingmybestlife photo was posted. It took me months to pluck up the courage to resign from my last job. But something holds you back from stepping into your boss’s office and giving your two week’s notice. You relate to all of it, but close the tabs telling yourself you’re just having a bad day or week. One of the most apparent signs you should quit your job immediately is if you have another, hopefully better position lined up. The work keeps piling on and you aren’t being paid for it. Which actually translates as ‘we’ve got a load of extra work for you outside of your already ridiculous schedule’. No job is worth sacrificing your wellness. Check your emergency fund and estimate the number of days you can get through without a new source of income. I become more and more miserable until I felt like I had no choice but to leave. If you’re experiencing any of these red flags, it could be time to move on professionally. You’d happily wear old trainers, sit in a cardboard box and drink tap water than stay another day in your job. If you’re already contemplating quitting your job, that alone is a sign that it is indeed time to move on. It happens so abruptly. If you're feeling unhappy with your current work environment and there are ample opportunities for another role available, take that as a green light to move on. Then a great conversation with a colleague or a pat on the back from your manager gets you back into your daily routine. Should I really leave? Your role has expanded, more responsibilities or headcount added. It's hard to feel happy, or even content, in the workplace if your co-workers are constantly complaining and your boss is persistently unhappy. Previously, you’d spy a senior company member in the kitchen. Even though it might be hard at first, you’ll ultimately feel a giant weight has been lifted from your shoulders. While it’s normal to have qualms about the work day, if you truly, deeply dread those eight or so hours at the office, it is time to put in your two weeks' notice. I wish I had done it earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of stress and anxiety. If you crave a flexible, work-from-home environment, but you’re stuck at a traditional nine-to-five job, you will probably never be satisfied no matter how much you like other aspects of your position. Before you quit your current job though, make sure you have an offer letter from your new employer. You Dread Going to Work . Remote Bliss is about the freedom to work where you want, when you want. You spend 40 hours or more per week working. Knowing you want to quit and actually quitting are also two very different things. It took me MONTHS to finally pluck up the courage to hand in my resignation. Way back then, I valued wearing cool clothes, clubbing, and alcohol. Warning Signals You Should Leave Your Job 1. I’ll tell you what though, as soon as I did I felt the weight lift from my shoulders. Give up on your New Year’s resolution yet? Is it better to test the waters before leaving my job? Don’t spend too much time in a position that doesn’t offer opportunities for growth.