The drive's firmware decides which files are copied to the flash memory for faster retrieval, and this is all completely transparent to the host. The load times were reduced 10-30 seconds per game. You can buy this as a bare drive for $5 less, and that's a fairly typical spread for a retail boxed product vs. a bare drive. That is not true it is a blank drive. After you’re all backed up, you pop in the new drive, then before you start the PS3 you will have to download the boot files from the Internet using a computer and load them onto a specific directory on the USB where the PS3 can find them and install from. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, All customers get FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon, Seagate (STGD2000100) Game Drive For PS4 Systems 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD – USB 3.0, Officially Licensed Product, Seagate Game Drive 4TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD - Compatible With PS4 (STGD4000400), Seagate Game Drive 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD, Designed For Xbox One, Green - 1 year Rescue Service (STEA2000403). (I wanted to do it myself. There is a lot of unnecessary confusion about the length of the warranty. The only thing i didn't like was waiting for things to open or load that we used less often. Install USB drive that contains your backup and update file. Boot time was reduced by around 5 seconds after about 5 boots, and large game loads were reduced by about the same. See below under “Other Thoughts” for some PlayStation post-installation steps if this process is new to you. Seagate - Game Drive 1TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Sony Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 (OEM/Bare Drive) If you need more space on your console then the Seagate GameDrive is a good place to start. WD_Black 4TB P10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive Compatible with Playstation, Xbox, PC, & Mac - WDBA3A0040BBK-WESN, WD 2TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN, Seagate Portable 1TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox, 1-year Rescue Service (STGX1000400), Seagate (STGD2000100) Game Drive For PS4 Systems 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD – USB 3.0, Officially Licensed Product, WD 2TB Gaming Drive works with Playstation 4 Portable External Hard Drive - WDBDFF0020BBK-WESN, Seagate Game Drive 4TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD - Compatible With PS4 (STGD4000400). Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Installation of the drive was easy thanks to the instructions Seagate took from Sony's website. Backing up data and transferring it was simple although time consuming. Also, you can get HDD enclosures for half the price if they don't come in 'gold'. I'm happy to report that I've had no such issues with this Seagate SSD. Seagate® Game Drive for PS4 STGD1000100 1-year limited warranty. I later read that the drive's controller likes to use the flash for small files, which immediately made perfect sense – mechanical disks are very fast at sequential reads, as with large files, and much slower at random access, as with large numbers of small files, so you want as many frequently used small files on the flash as possible. If there’s a game that you’re playing a lot it might be worth it to do this, it does seem to load a little bit faster. Over all I find it a good choice for anyone needing to upgrade and would fully recommend it to them. Upgrading the PlayStation is simple. 2. - Increased storage space, Cons: - Repackaged Seagate Laptop SSHD sold for a higher price Step There really is no benefit to buying one over the other so I would definitely look for the more affordable option. How can Seagate justify a higher price and 66% shorter warranty? Decent price. For the record, i compared the speed of this brand new SSHD with our 2 year old one. Reverse the process to install the hybrid drive. Pros: In summary: Decently sized storage, cuts down on loading times over using a disc, even more so for games that you play frequently due to SSD cache. Overall Review: This drive did what it said. The second time, 27 MB/s. While the drive is faster, there are other laptop size drives that will fit the PS4. Now, with 1TB PS4s officially announced by Sony and affordable 2TB HDD upgrades, this 1TB is one of many options. Learn More. Otherwise you just unscrew and insert. You need to remember it takes time for the drive to store the program files on the NAND. I upgraded a PS4 from the stock HGST 500 GB (also 5400 RPM) and the boot time dropped from about 23s to 20s. Pros: - Slightly increased speeds Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, PlayStation 4 Games, Consoles & Accessories. Cons: Cons Pros: If you're researching this product, note that there are two part numbers; the retail boxed drive marketed for PlayStation 3 or 4 is STBD1000101; the actual disk drive is ST1000LM014. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. … 4. Another egg deducted for the poor warranty - only 1 year! Recently we switched to and began using Seagate drives and have been quite pleased. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. This helps speed the drive up over normal mechanical hard drives. It is a gimmick with the packaging because most people think that there are specific files on here for the PS. … I went back and repeated my tests using a copy of a Cygwin installation, with 67,514 files in 2.49 GB. Comparing these benchmarks to the original HGST that was in my PlayStation, sequential reads and writes are up by about 15 MB/s, and random reads and writes are marginally improved. HD Tune: After installing the drive I did see marginally better load times than the stock hard drive and it seemed quieter than the stock one as well. The 25-page multi-lingual warranty pamphlet in the box says the warranty length is whatever the packaging says. I did some experiments to figure out when the 8 GB flash helped and when it didn't. Windows 7 boot time with Seagate GameDrive: 24seconds, Pros: Pro 7. Average (112MB/sec. Conclusions: The best features this drive offer are the decreased boot time and the massive amount of storage it offers twice the amount as my 500GB PS3 had. Overall Review: We have one of these that we got about two years ago, and used it to upgrade a laptop that had a standard 320GB hard drive. Should Have Done This Before - Easy Installation and Now Faster Game Time, Reviewed in the United States on October 4, 2015, If I had known how easy this was to install I would have done it sooner. Seagate has coupled a 5400 RPM disk with 8 GB of MLC flash. Simple installation and easy configuration get you up and playing fast. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. There's a problem loading this menu right now. The product itself is not faulty or bad in any way; market just makes this product out to be much more than it really is. The stock drive is an HGST z5k500 (500GB @ 5400rpm). Small games and applications didn't see any noticeable improvement. Also, since this hard drive comes with a small bit of solid state memory as a cache, games that you play often will load faster. Once a game was installed on the disk, the time to load it from the main menu dropped from times in the high 30's (in seconds) to the low 30's. 3. I happened to have a very similar non-hybrid ST1000LM024 on hand, so I couldn't resist trying them both on a fast Windows 7 desktop PC to see what kind of difference the 8 GB flash would make. Basics drive is available in capacities between 1TB … I started by copying large files back and forth, to see if there was a difference if the file was larger or smaller than 8 GB. In With the New. The Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB (STBD1000101) is the fourth Solid State drive we've owned. ], Taking out the Guesswork of Wondering whether SSHD would Work on PlayStation. The fact that the drive is more expensive than similar non branded drives makes me give it a 4 egg rating. In open air (room at 78 degrees F) the highest temperature I observed was 42 degrees C during sustained writing. Here are my thoughts on the Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB (STBD1000101); which we sadly had to replace multiple times with the manufacturer due to repeated data corruption. My PS4 came with a 500gb drive which at the time was fine but over the last few years the games are bigger and save more data and I had only 1.9 gb left on the drive. The graphics make the drive seem like a knock-off of a name brand and it is difficult to remove the drive from the packaging without dropping it. Buy Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation STBD1000101 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop SSHD Retail Packaging with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. +8GB of MLC I would easily recommend it as an operating system drive, however you may want to check for better prices as this drive is essentially a laptop drive. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Of course, it doesn't cost what a 1 TB SSD costs either. When I buy a new disk, I'm usually happy to pay an extra $5 to ensure the product is shipped with some padding. Western Digital's 5 TB PS4-friendly hard drive can fit all the games you could need; plus, it's e... KESU 2.5" 1TB Ultra Slim Portable External Hard Drive USB3.0 HDD Storage Compatible for PC, Desktop, Laptop, Xbox one, PS4(Black). Purchases from these Sellers are generally covered under our, Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation STBD1000101 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop SSHD Retail Packaging, https://www.newegg.com/seagate-game-drive-for-playstation-1tb-stbd1000101/p/N82E16822178797, https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll640/22-178-797-03.jpg, /home/Computer Systems/Laptop Accessories, /home/Computer Systems/Laptop Accessories/Laptop Internal Hard Drives, Silent and cool-running hybrid disk, nice 1 TB upgrade for PlayStation and laptops, Faster load times may not be worth the cost. A nice SSD+HDD upgrade for gaming consoles and laptop/PC's, but note the price, Reviewed in the United States on October 24, 2015. Skip to main content. Works fine on my PS3- I used to buy a lot of games on disc but nowadays I download most of them so this is very useful for all of those extra games. You can easily store 100+ games—that's enough room for the classics and the hottest new releases without having to delete anything. In my opinion, if lots of storage space is desired, buy a standard hard drive; if reduced load times is desired, go all out and pick up a true SSD. Skip to main content. Cons: You'd think there would be some PlayStation upgrade instructions in the box, but no, there's just a small paper slip that tells you to consult your PlayStation documentation. Cons: You can back up all of your game data but you will need to reload the O/S onto the new drive and then you need to install of your games and then restore your data. There are lots of detailed instructions on the web so I recommend you look up some of those, as that’s what I did when first getting started. Articles. Reviewed in the United States on September 27, 2015. If you want you can install games on a disc too but you still need to insert the disc to play, instead the PS3 will load the games from the hard drive to cut down on loading time. Frustration-free upgrade in about one hour, Reviewed in the United States on September 26, 2015.