This site uses cookies. Thank you again for this posting; it makes me homesick for Poland. Rinse pork meat under cold water and dry it up with paper towel. Now I don't coat the meat. Absolutely wonderful. I share the foregoing to impart credence to my statements about Polish bigos. IT HAD BOILED/ROASTED POTATOES ONTOP TOO . Thank you very much for including a non-alcohol alternative! Bigos is wonderful for the cold autumn and winter dinners but you can have it for Easter dinner as well. Great with potatoes or crusty bread and butter, and of course a glass of Piwo. Sprinkle a little salt over them. In the meantime, cut the cabbage in half and cut each half into strips about one and a half inches wide. Deglaze the pan by pouring in the red wine and stirring to loosen all of the bits of food and flour that are stuck to the bottom. Serve hot or reheat when needed, it tastes even better the next day. I’m the only one in my family who LOVES (even likes) sauerkraut so I never make it. Info. I should make it again sometime…, I WENT TO POLAND LAST WEEK . Reheating next day adds to the depth of bigos. Pressure cook for 7 minutes. I have never seen wine as an ingredient of any traditional Polish dish - not in that climate! If you want a little kick, add the mustard or horseradish right before you eat it. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. I used beer as the liquid, although lots of people use red wine. Hi Gail, you should easily be able to find pork shoulder meat already cut into big chunks for making stew. SO I WILL TRY YOUR RECEIPE TOO . I have made this recipe several times now and my sons say its better then their fathers. It definitely has an Eastern European feel to it: Cabbage and sauerkraut, lots of different meats—many of the them smoked—and a variety of mushrooms. My grandmother did add some fattier pork pieces (for some reason I distinctly remember some large meat pieces full of white fat that I used to pick out of my cabbage and give to my grandfather), but not often, most of the time her stewed cabbage was meat-free. Sauerkraut Stew with Pork and Sausages – Polish Bigos Recipe Heat the lard or oil in a Dutch oven or another heavy-bottomed pot. Simmer on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is done. Again, warm up skillet with sunflower oil over medium-low heat, add shredded cabbage to it and braise it for about 15-20 mins until it gets soft, don’t forget to stir: Pour braised cabbage to the cooking pot and mix with the rest of vegetables (but not with meat! I have Polish relatives so grew up eating Bigos. Start by chopping everything, this dish requires quite a bit of chopping, but it is otherwise super simple to make. We don’t use that many types of pork, instead we add some beef cut up in squares, as well as cubed apples instead of prunes or tomato paste. This Polish sauerkraut stew is everything that a winter stew should be: hearty, comforting, it warms you up from inside and leaves you full and satisfied. Season with salt and pepper. Love it! Please set me straight! Heat through just until boiling. Delicious and freezes well! Let me know if you liked the recipe. If u are a christian then you should know that Bible forbids people from eating pork. If both are smoked it is even better. Bubbies is an excellent brand. Cube the bacon, if necessary. Please try again later. 450 g/ 1 lb pork stewing meat, smoked if available, 375 g/ 13.2 oz/ about 2 1/2 cups sauerkraut, 750 g/ 26.5 oz/ about 10 cups white cabbage, 75 g/ 2.7 oz/ about 4-5 tablespoons tomato paste, 300 g/ 10.5 oz Polish sausage (cabanossi or Krakauer), 2-4 teaspoons plum butter or jam, to taste (plum butter is less sweet than jam, so use to taste). Sorry, great recipe! Every cook has her own secrets, and so far as I can tell, the only constants are: many different meats, cabbage, mushrooms and black pepper. I really want to try making this at home, it reminds me of the stews my grandpa would make when I was younger. Add black pepper and two bay leaves. I made a quick-and-easy version. 6 Bigos is better the longer it cooks, but you can eat it once the ham hock falls apart. They all think it’s disgusting. Add sauerkraut, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste and stock to the pot. https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Classic-Polish-Pork-Sauerkraut-Stew The next time I try it I will add peppercorns, bay, garlic and carrots as you did. A gastronomic delight. . Do you happen to have the nutritional data on it? Remove to a bowl. Drain, but reserve the soaking liquid. In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon and leeks, stirring occasionally, until most of fat is rendered and leeks have softened, 6 to 8 minutes. I don’t add tomatoes like some do but instead add a bit of red wine from time to time. I will be making it for New Year’s Day, when it is traditionally served. EnjoyYourCooking.com uses cookies to improve your experience. Slice the cabanossi. In Poland it is said no clever man states a preference concerning the bigos of his wife compared to his mother's if both women are living.