})(); (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); if ($(window).width() > 1024) { Growing basil alongside tomatoes protects the tomato plants against insects. Sorry. They had just a tablespoon of compost with some roots inside! The weevils are of course a problem too. Featured on: nepeta(great with chicken sandwiches by the way!) The dreaded weevil maggots also ate the roots of my strawberry Hapil! Apparently, the weevils have a very sensitive egg-laying pipe and really dislike the scratchy stuff. Details on RHS site Does the neem oil have any adverse side-effects on anything else nearby ..e.g. Add another photo. T. When some of my plants (notably Fuchsias) have had their roots eaten away by vine weevils, I have been able to take some of the branches and root them, to produce new plants. Certainly a Primula growing friend has had success with it. Thanks. Hatching occurs in about 10 days, and the tiny larvae burrow into the soil and begin feeding. In my garden - all large pots - they go for ornamental flowering cherry. About Black Vine Weevils. planted in an open border. Owdboggy, I do take your point about the physical barrier/mat and I’ll be down the garden centre on Monday to see what they’ve got. They arrived in small... ». Thank you again! Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil Killer) as a liquid drench applied to the compost. Does it start to lay its eggs immediately after the birth or it needs some time to mature? Add shingle to the top of the soil and leave for a year (full life cycle of a weevil) then plant hardy grasses and hairy plants that I understand weevils dislike.The questions: 1. do weevils really stay away from grasses? What is the general thought?3. I'd like to make my own pickles some day, but they keep destroying my vines. The most amazing was when in the middle of January the beetle was born. Good luck, Teatime Tess ... you've certainly made some sensible plans ! A Vine weevils have always been a serious pest of greenhouse plants, including grape vines, but commercial growers were able to keep them under control using Aldrin, a soil insecticide. You often won’t realise there’s a problem until the plant topples over due to all its roots being severed. Thanks. I wish we could put helpful questions on our homepage favourites but, sadly, there is no facility to do this. Thinking of gravel garden with area of raised beds for vegetable & herb growing... can i put supresive membrane on garden then put new soil on top to seed for new lawn... Add a photo It is north facing and very exposed, again, the soil is a mix of clay, stones and some moisture. Neem oil is a natural insecticide which kills on contact. I lost my interest to the experiment as well as I realised how great survivals they are. I've treated the area twice already with nemotodes, but gosh, it's such a big job and I'm unconvinced it's done any good.The plan: remove the existing plants and top soil. It changed its color and hiding itself daytime as they said to be nocturne. Grandad_gar.. I started in the middle of November. I have had the grubs swimming in undiluted Ultra Clear without any effect. 'https:' : 'http:') + '//contextual.media.net/nmedianet.js?cid=8CU43E005' + (isSSL ? I have chopped them down, tried to remove the habitat (bark/leaves/debris) but admittedly have more to do on that score. 2weeks later all were alive, 4 weeks later larvae were still moving I could see them through the bottom of the jar. Sometimes I have even been able to re-root the whole plant by putting it deep into a pot of new compost. I wash the stems, especially the bases, in a Neem oil solution before using as cuttings, just in case. Oh dear, looks like another "substitute" that is nowhere near as good as the original. I found the beetle a couple of times and a lots a lot of larvae. Another tip I was given is to use a non-peat compost. To view care instructions for this problem please login or register. That is the theory anyway. But what? Teatime. Login or register to add a comment or question about this plant problem. I discovered recently that the problem with the wilting leaves on my fatsia japonica was vine weevil. And it is a pest to worry about. Sage is another apparently, as is Lavender, Catmint, Sandalwood, Wormwood etc, but a bit too big to plant inside a pot next to your plants. I have chopped them down, tried to remove the habitat (bark/leaves/debris) but admittedly have more to do on that score. Cover the plastic/mat with at least a 2 inch deep layer of fine grit as well. I have treated all of them and the two skimmias as well; these seem ok. My issue is what do I do with the treated soil. a yearly trim works). Every week see the 10 best gardening photos to inspire your gardening projects. I already have Neem oil, used for another purpose, but good to know of other sources. This year I intend trying the systemic neonicotinoid insecticide acetamiprid (e.g. I have a Ecco EF72C/12,5H hydro ride on mower. If you cannot find anything to use as a soil covering at the G.C. How long it takes for larvae to become a beetle? then I have been known to use a compost bag cut up to fit round the stem and on to the pot. alongside and in the same fruit plant pot to deter their egg laying, mixed with garlic or ordinary chives and feverfew. Is there no justice? Use these convenient icons to share this page on various social media platforms: Vine Weevil, Part Two: Saving the Plants -- Nil Desperandum. Someone told me not to reuse the treated soil-is this right??? I don't have vine weevil but I hear essential oils will do the job. To become a Shoot member visit the main Shoot website. Also Legion, great idea to use companion planting, the cherry is in a big pot with a bit of room for catmint or chives. So if the weevil cannot smell the soil, it does not lay its eggs. If you are growing single stem plants like trees then you can cover the surface of the compost with something. Peppermint oil works best, but eucalyptus, lavender and orange oil also work. I had to discard two splendid mature specimens as last year the nematodes treatments proved ineffective - also very pricey for large pots that need treating 3 seasons out of 4. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Organic-Neem-100ml-Bottle/dp/B002VA7PXW/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2BN09K3DZZ0GE&keywords=neem+oil+for+plants&qid=1584193012&sprefix=Neem+Oil%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-12, Great, will check on Amazon this evening. Worth putting a few holes in it (away from the stem) to allow watering to take place. On plant One generation per year. I would like something that will create a barrier between the house and road, has curb appeal but doesn't need much maintance (i.e. ©2004-2020 Shoot Limited. I’m always so touched by the kindness of members on this site and the thoughtful responses I’ve had and thank you everyone for your answers! medianet_width = "1120"; Owdboggy .. Lots of useful info and ideas. Vine weevil is one plant insect pest that most gardeners live in fear of. https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=234. I actually wonder what happened to the other 4? medianet_versionId = "111299"; The spot where I am looking to put grasses has photinia and they've been well chewed!Advice gratefully received!Regards. I so hate weevils! the front of the house has/had shrubs. I've never found more details about V W habit. I wish I knew the answer to them. It eats my rhododendron, primulas, heucheras. I have destroyed the fatsia, fuchia and virginia creeper. It doesn't always work but it's worth a try, you have nothing to lose. Get expert info and easy to follow monthly care reminders for the plants in your garden by signing up for a free Shoot account. It lives in my heavy clay ground, not only in the pots. I share your pain :-( I used to use Provoda systemic which worked well but that has now been withdrawn . weed suppressing membranes, I share your pain :-( I used to use Provoda systemic which worked well but that has now been withdrawn. I am watching the photina (red robin) to see if it improves further before deciding to destroy it-as I say, there are buds on it despite the sad looking leaves. Record the plants in your garden, share your photos, and make like-minded friends. (function() { All rights reserved. Black vine weevil host plants include over 100 different species, but they favor the following above all else: Yew; Hemlock; Rhododendrons; Azalea; Mountain laurel; Euonymus; Japanese holly; Grapes; Liquidambar; These 1/2 inch long beetles look much like the strawberry root weevil, but are twice their size; they may be impossible to distinguish from other … if ($(window).width() < 1025) { On plant Otiorhynchus sulcatus ?