Correlative conjunctions: neither/nor, either/or, both/and. We use the past perfect simple (and not continuous) to say how much or how many we had done of something earlier in the past. Grammar » B1+ Grammar lessons and exercises » Narrative tenses – all past tenses. Past simple, past continuous, past perfect. ", ""], Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. 2Why did you change the channel? A1 – Elementary A2 - Pre-intermediate B1 – Intermediate B1+ – Upper-intermediate B2 – Pre-advanced . By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. ","had to get"] 9The plane in which the football team _____ crashed and none of them survived. Speakspeak | Upper-intermediate grammar exercise: present tense to past tense, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Upper-intermediate grammar exercise: past simple vs. past perfect, Intermediate grammar exercise: past simple vs. past continuous, Elementary grammar exercise: past simple tense, Elementary grammar exercise: past, present and future tenses, Intermediate grammar exercise: past simple or present perfect (2), Elementary grammar exercise: past simple tense ex. Suddenly …. Find out more about cookies and how to change your cookie settings, The sun was shinning and lots of tourists were lying on the beach. Past Tense Worksheet. ["Question 7", "Anyone could do that - it's easy.
     Anyone ______ that. 1st space: normal narrative past form → simple p ast |2nd space: condition in the past (after all, it was still his car) → simple past |3rd space: looking back to something that had happened earlier → p ast p erfect simple. We use the past perfect simple to talk about an earlier past: events which happened before the main event. We use the past perfect simple with stative verbs to talk about states or situations that had started earlier in the past. 10We _____ for about 20 minutes when the plane was hit by turbulence. 8I knew he _____ because his eyes were red. I _____ (write) for over two hours. for the main events of a story. I was exhausted at the end of the exam. PDF format only: Get it in our download pack. ["Example", "Not Implemented! Read the explanation to learn more. 4When I saw Clara I realised that she ______ much in all those years. We use the past continuous for actions in progress in the past or longer actions interrupted by shorter actions in past simple. She'd published her first poem by the time she was eight. ["Question 5", "My car won't start.  
     My car ______ start. Rules + Ex + KEY. ["Question 4", "You should go to the doctor's.
     You ______ to the doctor's. . In his haste, the plumber (forget) to put the handbrake on. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Writing. Despite, in spite of, although, even though (1) gap-fill. ","wasn't used to","was not used to"], ","should have gone","should've gone"],
     He ______ crazy. ["Question 1", "He must be crazy. I was late. Despite, in spite of, although, even though (2) gap-fill. ","knew he'd be","knew he would be"], You have to fill each space with either the past continuous, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous.. Don't use contractions. ☕ For the price of a coffee you'll be able to download the bundle with just a couple of clicks. Try this exercise to test your grammar. We use the past continuous the set the scene in a story. Exercises; Explanation; Exercises: 1 2 … Speakspeak | Upper-intermediate exercises, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), PDF format only: Get it in our download pack, Despite, in spite of, although, even though, Song lyrics: Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles, Worksheets and exercises for classroom handouts and online teaching, Vocabulary and pronunciation exercise: homophones, Vocabulary exercise: hyphenated compound words, Listening practice (BBC witness podcast) “Spend, Spend, Spend” – The Miner’s Wife Who Won Big, Listening practice (BBC witness podcast) “Swimming The Bering Strait”, Reading comprehension “How Wolf Packs Work”, Reading comprehension “Incredible journey: a wolf’s migration across Europe”. In this exercise you will practise past tense constructions. Your email address will not be published. We use the past perfect simple to talk about earlier events and experiences, or single actions completed earlier in the past. ] 2, Intermediate grammar exercise: past simple or present perfect (4), Upper-intermediate grammar exercise: past perfect simple vs. past perfect continuous, Intermediate grammar exercise: past simple or present perfect (1), Intermediate grammar exercise: past simple or present perfect (3). Upper Intermediate Level >> Grammar Worksheets >> Tricky choices face the students here with a choice of past perfect, past perfect continuous and past continuous!. I'm late.
     I ______ going. He is selling his car for just $10. questionArray=[ 1I told John not to drive, because he _____ all night. ["Question 8", "I must get going. ","wouldn't","would not"], Upper-intermediate grammar exercise: present tense to past tense – Speakspeak. Grammar explanation Time up to a point in the past. It covers all tenses and students have spend A1 – Elementary A2 - Pre-intermediate B1 – Intermediate B1+ – Upper-intermediate B2 – Pre-advanced .