Past Continuous Tense usually placed when the action was continued in the past for some time. Negative: You were not studyingwhen she called. So when we describe an action which was occurred in the past and continued for a short period of time then it’s called Past Continuous Tense. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. For example, When I was walking yesterday, it started raining. Examples of Past Continuous Tense. Let us see some examples of Past Continuous Tense: I was singing a song in the program. WERE is used with We, You, They and Plural Nouns. They were not playing baseball in the stadium. They had been playing football in that field before it started to rain. There are many situations in which this verb tense might be used in a sentence. Were you attending the wedding party? Past Continuous Tense is used: The Past Continuous Tense is used to express an action that was happening in the Past at the time of speaking. Examples of the Past Continuous Tense I was going to the Pub. 3. In Past Continuous Tense, we use was/were and the first form of verb+ing (present participle). He was studying in the library. Shariff was not taking new step in his life. You were missing the event. He was not taking any cost from his parents. Another example of this tense is: We were playing football when he sprained his wrist last week. The past continuous is formed using was/were + present participle. He had been reading different kinds of books since morning. WAS is used with He, She, It, I and singular nouns. For example, it is often used to describe conditions that existed in the past. They were opening a new shop in the market. He was dancing like a Nagin. 1. They were playing football in that field. We were watching a movie in this Cineplex yesterday. The sun was shining every day that summer. We cannot determine when the action started or finished. | 10 Advanced Tips, Past Continuous Tense | Definition, Structure and Examples, Past Indefinite Tense | Definite, Structure and Examples, What is Tense in English Grammar? The time of the action may or may not be mentioned. You were talking to her. Question: Were you studyingwhen she called? They were planning for new business. He was not participating in the online class. He was participating in the online class. I was writing articles on different topics. For example: Structure: Subject+ was/were+ Verb(+ing)+Object. She was drinking coffee in that coffee shop. Negatives are made with not. Required fields are marked *. For something which continued before and after another action: Examples: The children were doing their homework when I got home. Your email address will not be published. Examples of Past Continuous Tense. The past continuous tense is "was watching." Examples. How to Improve Vocabulary in English? He was going to the market. The past continuous tense is formed by combining the past tense of to be (i.e., was/were) with the verb’s present participle (-ing word). It was raining yesterday. Examples of Past Perfect Continuous Tense. Statement: You were studyingwhen she called. They were playing baseball in the stadium. He was reading various kinds of books. We were shopping in this market last week. We were enjoying a beautiful time. Shireen was looking at the window. 1. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Was Sharrif not taking new step in his life? | Definition, Types and Examples. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I had been writing articles on various topics for three hours. Jane had been gossiping in the coffee shop for two hours. Were they playing baseball in the stadium? She was taking selfies before dying. Was he participating in the online class? Past continuous tense expresses the actions or task that were ongoing in the past. The past continuous tense is "were playing." Questions are indicated by inverting the subject and was/were. Complete List of Past Continuous Forms 2. She was entering the classroom. Let’s have a look at the different forms of Past Continuous Tense: Let us see some examples of Past Continuous Tense: Your email address will not be published. Were they not playing baseball in the stadium? Past Continuous Tense takes was/ were as it’s helping verbs.