We are heading for a long weekend next week, so I will book mark as many of these as I can. – North America’s first organic winery to produce ice wines. Phew, I know this is a long list, but I hope it’s helpful for anyone planning a road trip to the Okanagan. But it doesn’t mean I haven’t been up to much. Along the way, there are numerous beaches, wineries and fruit stands to enjoy that will help you embrace the Valley lifestyle. The Ultimate Okanagan Road Trip. Grant Stevely is the mastermind behind this place, and everything is made here: from the gin and whiskey, bottling, packaging, marketing–it’s quite the passion-project-turned business venture. Although if you’ve got the time, splurge on spending a week or two exploring the area. Tip: Go in the late afternoon when it’s both cooler and less crowded. a 15 km country road starting in Penticton travels along Okanagan Lake where vineyards and wineries beckon you to visit. This hotspot in British Columbia’s interior is the best long weekend (or week-long) […], In the land of the Pacific Northwest, legal green stuff, hipsters, food carts and microbreweries, Portland is a city that’s… how shall I put it? Spirit Ridge – Highly rated on Booking.com, Lakeview Motel and Suites – Good value option, Read next: 50+ Things to Do in Osoyoos, British Columbia. – Alright, so this is one of the most classic things to do out here. If you go prepared, it doesn’t have to be just a long and boring car ride. Road trips are awesome because it can be a very affordable way to travel. Seattle is only a couple of hours away from my homecity via plane, […], I’m salivating again just thinking about where to eat in Seattle. I had high hopes I would be more […], Where did September go? Why? Be sure to check out the views from the, Another one-of-a-kind attraction in the Vernon area is. It’s a classier word for dabbler, jack of all trades, generalist or dilettante, and the opposite of niche or being an expert. Subscribe to "Monthly Musings" for updates on new blog content, interesting links and more! The whole place, from the vineyards and winery to the cellars and the restaurant, were designed with environmental preservation and sustainability in mind (think solar energy, using gravity instead of pumps, etc.). There are 15 acres of beautiful flowers, landscaped gardens and walking trails. It’s also a, With five at last count (and more being built! There are no less than four local craft cider companies with tasting rooms here. Smaller towns like Peachland, Summerland or Penticton are nearby so it’s easy to hop from one place to another. They do have wine tastings for $5 a person though and you’ll get to taste their other reds and whites. It’s open year-round and donations for admission are appreciated but not required. Fingers crossed for both of us that we have fabulous weather! Inspiring others to live a creative life of travel is my goal. La Casa Ouzeria is a family-run Italian and Greek restaurant serving up traditional dishes with Mediterranean-like decor. Of course, there are plenty more things to do in the Okanagan Valley that you may want to add as side trips. For the five years I was in school, I enrolled in one Japanese class per year taught by the same professor who was passionate, funny, and probably thought I was nuts because these […], Note: This post was updated in August 2016. Bonus points if the scenery is awesome, and it is. Discover the tastes, sights and sounds with a road trip along lakes, past vineyards and through orchard country. This 6-day itinerary through the Okanagan Valley is perfect for wine and outdoor enthusiasts. The town of Osoyoos is the perfect introduction to the Okanagan Valley. Since my subtle foray back into blogging after last week’s “Life Lately” musings, the majority of you lovely […], Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of spending five whole days in Seattle. Super exciting as I’ve never spent more than 24 – 48 hours here. – This winery had me saying, “I swear I’m not an alcoholic” at the till. – I keep hearing about this place but haven’t had a chance to visit. the lovely Lindz sent me a link to your blog, so you should know you have good fans. – Take advantage of that hot summer weather and go for a round of disc golf. The Osoyoos area is warmer than the rest of the Okanagan so there’s often a bit more variety in the types of fruit you can pick, but of course it depends on the season. The Okanagan Valley is hard to beat for a lazy summer road trip. A schedule of seasonal produce can be found, – For the nature and conservation enthusiasts, make a stop at the Desert Centre and learn all about the Okanagan’s. – So this was one of my favourite places in the Okanagan as a kid. Kids can play with farm animals or cool off in the lake. – I saw this sign  “Mass Sculpture Garden” just as you enter Kelowna and it led to a spontaneous visit to the home and gallery of a talented international artist. Photo by: Adam Foster. I saw it in the golden trees and darker skies. This means that we may receive a small percentage sales made through these links at no extra cost to you. – A super cute (and naturally busy) cafe, head here for your dose of caffeine, brunch, or beer and wine in the evening. This seriously looks like so much fun–if only I were younger. Pit stop at the Log Barn while saying hello to the goats. I can’t believe I’ve never been here before, but for a minimum $5 donation per person, you have access to freely petting kangaroos, wallabies, cabybaras, goats, and other adorable animals. Since Kelowna is the largest city in the Okanagan, it’s a good, central spot to find accommodation and act as a homebase. It doesn’t look like much from the outside, but all the magic happens on the inside. Bonus: you get free bread with a delicious oregano-olive oil-balsamic dip. And random pitstops are what makes a road trip enjoyable or in some cases, bearable. – A sweet place to really just chill out either in the water or on the grass. Aww thanks Josy! Tickleberry’s has been running for over 25 years now and has over 50 flavours of ice cream plus their own handmade fudge, chocolate and kettle corn. Note: This post was updated in August 2016. I’m sure it’s a great place to stop and stretch your legs. The atmosphere is casual and warm, and I love how the restaurant is in this old brick building. ; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} – Little did I know there was more than just wineries and breweries out here. Indulge your senses with fresh, fragrant flavours and local produce on a road trip through the Okanagan Valley. Looking to book a stay in Peachland or Summerland? Look for the Faustino’s sign along the road as it’s an easy place to miss. I also think it’s quieter than Skaha Lake. Tell me, how did your September go? – Oliver is the wine capital of Canada so there’s no shortage of wineries in this area. – If you’re not a fan of beer, wine, or spirits, then it’s time to explore the world of ciders. Save or PIN this post for future reference using the above photo! Always. Kelowna to Osoyoos: The Ultimate Okanagan Road Trip Canada Destinations Travel Guides September 12, 2019 Stunning mountain landscapes, warm turquoise lakes, sweeping valleys, the sweetest fruit and hundreds of vineyards…welcome to the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canada. There’s a reason why the slogan “Keep Portland Weird” is […], © 2020 Migrant Muse. One of Canada’s premiere wine regions and a top destination for wine enthusiasts, the Naramata Bench is where you can experience renowned wines and wine country hospitality while also enjoying cycling, hiking and water sports. There are giant radio telescopes to examine, and rattlesnake warnings on the path from the parking lot to the observatory. It’s also better to go early in the morning or right at 6 p.m. cause it can get ridiculously busy–not surprising though because who wouldn’t want to hold baby kangaroos!? From the US/Canada border at Osoyoos, north through Petnticon and Kelowna, the Okanagan Corridor ends in Vernon, British Columbia. There’s so much to choose from in a small, concentrated area or even up and down […], After my first Japanese culture class in university, I was hooked. Continuing north 42 km (26 mi) is Penticton, nestled between two lakes, here you can enjoy sandy beaches, cycle the Kettle Valley Rail Trail or indulge in a tasting of beer, wine or cider downtown or along the scenic Naramata Bench. 3 to 7 days, 254.17 km (157.93 mi) Indulge in fresh local produce on a road trip through the Okanagan. gtag('config', 'UA-43280157-1'); It’s a honeybee farm with a shop, tours and tastings. They make an effort to know your name, treat you like family, and you can tell they love what they do. It’s the perfect place to visit for Calgarians looking for something more than a river to chill by, Vancouverites looking to slow things down a little, or anyone looking for some R&R. Since the lake is smaller, the water is calmer and there’s not as many boats zipping around. – This one is for the adventure seekers, and on my to-do list for my next visit. At the William R. Bennett Bridge you’ll cross Okanagan Lake to Kelowna, the Okanagan Valley’s largest urban centre. Most disc golf courses, including this one, are free (actually, I’ve never come across one where you needed to pay). – This is probably one of the most welcoming, mom and pop sandwich joints I’ve ever been to with the most delicious cream of mushroom soup. Off Track Travel is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. The staff are upbeat and will pour you nearly every type of wine they have (three white wines, three red wines, six dessert wines).