I love these bite-sized pancakes because they make perfect appetizers. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. If you travel to Russia, you'll be offered tea, coffee, mineral water, or even vodka to wash down any of the delicious foods you're served during your trip. Widely popular Russian dish, especially eaten during the Maslenitsa festival in Russia. Looks complicated, but is easy enough to make for an Old-World treat. Can be eaten with spaetzle. Also, good with mashed potatoes and cucumber and sour cream salad. Oh, what I wouldn’t do to sink my teeth into this cheesy, creamy pastry! A warm, filling soup that is a wonderful cool weather lunch or dinner and is especially great with a side of multi-grain bread! Kerry Kubilius is a freelance writer who specializes in Eastern European history, culture, current events, language, and travel. My family loves soup and this is one of their favorites. – Linda (LMT). If you don't have semolina flour, you can just replace it with additional corn meal. I have been looking for a good Russian Black Bread recipe. Large meat eaters, Bulgarians like spicy meatballs and meat patties, and will serve up tasty one-pot meat and vegetable dishes in traditional restaurants or at the traditional Bulgarian table. Looking for Eastern European recipes? It has lots of flavor and is fairly quick to make. It gives it a totally different flavor. This recipe was given to my mother by her Polish mother-in-law several years ago. Allrecipes has more than 500 trusted Eastern European recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies Mandelbrot in Yiddish literally means “almond bread.” The twice-baked cookie made with oil and almonds dates back to 19th century Eastern Europe. Egg noodles with cooked chopped cabbage and onions - a great ethnic dish! This is an extremely reductive version of the traditional Polish dish, Golabki or Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. – naples34102, "Tender, soft, sweet, yeast bread swirled with a homemade poppy seed filling. A slow cooker recipe too easy not to try! In both comfort foods and more complex dishes, the ingredients are always simple. Top blini with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, or even caviar. My friend's mother from Ukraine taught me this recipe for the classic beet soup. Stuffed meats, hearty stews, sticky pastries, and regional fish dishes will also be found on Polish tables. Garnish with sour cream. 8 Comforting Russian Soups for Fall and Winter Weather, Polish Recipes to Make Your Grandmother Proud, Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I received this recipe from my grandmother. There are certain recipes that comfort the body and soul in a profound way and this hearty potato and sausage soup is in that class. I remember my grandmother making these on special occasions, usually when she had a lot of hands to help her! This is a recipe from my hometown of Sarajevo, and it is similar to a southern cornbread. This simple recipe came from the Polish side of my family. Sometimes the term "European", or more specifically "continental" cuisine, is used to refer more strictly to the cuisine of the western parts of mainland Europe. Simple Golabki is tasty, easy, and quick. Hint: To freeze perogies, freeze separately first, then put in freezer bags. It was passed down to her from her grandmother. I do hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I do. 'Bubba' brought it with her when she came from Lithuania. I use to watch my grandmother make these small pastries at Christmas time and I couldn't wait to eat them when she was all done. I have been making this recipe for over 20 years. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. The vinegar adds a bit of a bite, but believe me, with cheese it is marvelous. I hope you enjoy these with mashed potatoes just as we always do in my family! Serve with pan juices and a drizzle of sour cream, or mix the pan juices with sour cream and ladle it over the cabbage rolls. The tiny amount of bitterness we get from the burnt honey really is the secret here, and the slightly tangy whipped cream frosting provides a bit of acidity and lovely light texture; and unlike other frostings, it's not too sweet. Ground beef makes this stroganoff sauce a quick, tasty comfort food served over noodles or mashed spuds. Works well in a slow cooker. It was this soup that started my lifelong love of adding sour cream to things. European or western cuisine is the cuisines of Europe and other Western countries, including the cuisines brought to other countries by European settlers and colonists. Use a ripe tomato. I'm not sure what made this so darn good—the bacon maybe, or the sweet Hungarian paprika? Eastern European Cuisine foods from my ancestral home. I like it best after the second day. Allrecipes has more than 500 trusted Eastern European recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. My husband would live on this if I let him, and our entire family loves it! I don't know where I got this recipe, but I have been using it for well over 20 years. There are 3 different ways to make this cake…the hard way, the harder way, and the way we're gonna do it--the hardest way. I think you'll agree it's one of the best things you've had in a long time. If you like sausage, Hungarian sausage makes a great hot or cold snack. Works great in the oven or a slow cooker. This can be made ahead of time and frozen for a few days prior to cooking. All kinds of fillings are possible--sweet or savory. It's as authentic as it gets. Vodka is usually served with it. Tender, soft, sweet yeast bread swirled with a creamy homemade poppy seed filling. Russian traditional foods include warm and cold soups, like borscht, which can be made in numerous ways, but always incorporates beets. The recipe has been in the family for generations, with a few alterations of course! Serve with sour cream or cottage cheese. Growing up, my mother and aunts always made this Eastern European bread for Easter and Christmas. This is a family recipe that's been made at Christmas time by at least 4 generations. This can be served over either rice or noodles. This is a traditional Russian soup that is served as a meal by itself. You can have perogies just boiled, or you can fry them in butter, which makes them tastier. Once my mom made this for him, he has never eaten any other! Looking for Eastern European recipes? I load up on thickly cut mushrooms and use traditional Hungarian Sweet Paprika. I pass it on in the true spirit of this season! Garnish with fresh lemon slices and sour cream. Every family has their own twist on this traditional dish. Eastern European cuisine is rich and hearty, and each Eastern European country has national dishes for travelers to enjoy. The savory flavor from smoked sausage and the earthy sweetness from onions and cabbage are balanced perfectly with a splash of vinegar and a bit of sour cream, all brought together by soft and tender potatoes--the only way this gets better is serving it with a nice hunk of buttered, crusty bread. Desserts are influenced by their Turkish neighbors, but you can also find traditional Bulgarian desserts like banitsa, which can be sweet or savory, if you really wish to sample the full range of Bulgarian cuisine. My father and grandparents were born in Czechoslovakia. Romanian traditional foods are often well-seasoned with herbs.