2004, original 1988. With a scarlet coat and a big cocked hat The Clancys on their Isn’t Grand Boys album sang the song in D Major. Subject: Mrs. McGrath Parody From: Bev and Jerry Date: 27 May 02 - 08:19 PM A couple of weeks ago we were singing in a pub in County Tipperary and Michael Smith, the Irish Minister of Defense, sang a parody of Mrs McGrath which started, "Mrs. McGrath, the sergeant … Wi your [Em]too-ri-aa, [G]folly diddle-aa Springsteen changed the traditional lyrics slightly. The battle took place in a village on the Is the poor boy living or is he dead?”, Now then up comes Ted without any legs, Digging the Depths of the American Songbag by Stephen Griffith, Red Iron Ore (with Video and Extensive Notes), Old Abe Lincoln Came Out of the Wilderness, Highbridge (Through Every Age, Eternal God), Greenfields (How Tedious and Tasteless the Hours), Moanish Lady (Sandburg’s American Songbag), Boll Weevil (Sandburg’s American Songbag), He’s Gone Away (Sandburg’s American Songbag), None Can Love Like an Irishman (Sandburg’s American Songbag), Carl Sandburg’s American Songbag (Introduction), Marching Song of the First Arkansas (Negro) Regiment, I Will Give My Love an Apple (I Gave My Love a Cherry), Keep Your Eyes on the Prize (Keep Your Hand on the Plow), At the Foot of Yonder Mountain (Pretty Saro), Captain Kidd II (Through All the World Below), Wraggle Taggle Gypsies (Gypsy Laddie, The), Columbus, 67 (Once I Had a Glorious View), Banks of the Ponchartrain (or Lakes of the Ponchartrain), Down by the Riverside (Study War No More), Go Round and Round the Village (Go In and Out the Window), Fish of the Sea, The (Blow Ye Winds Westerly), I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate, Prayer of the Abolitionist (The Abolitionist Hymn), Yankee Doodle Dandy-O (The Constitution and Guerriere), We Shall Not Be Moved (Civil Rights Version), Pete Seeger, [easyazon_link asin=”B001382F6K” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”stephgriff-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Mrs. McGrath (Album Version)[/easyazon_link], Bruce Springsteen,  [easyazon_link asin=”B00JOWC52G” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”stephgriff-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Mrs. McGrath[/easyazon_link], Folk Song Encyclopedia (Jerry Silverman) Hal Leonard 1975, Rise Up and Sing! Martin Carthy sang My Son John with updated lyrics To shrink your two legs down to the knee? Mrs McGrath dates from the early 1800s and was first published as a broadside ballad in Dublin in 1815. He waved bye-bye as he ran out the door. Mrs McGrath is an anti-war song in which a mother laments how her son lost both his legs in battle after being recruited into the British Army. Ted is away at war for seven years and when he eventually returns, his mother’s delight turns to horror when she sees that his legs are missing, blown away by a cannonball. Although the song probably dates from the time of the Peninsular Wars between 1807 and 1814, the earliest written account of it in Ireland was in 1876. the chief export of Ireland was its young men, who had to starve at home or Here are some of the best. TITLE: Mrs. McGrath Irish Street Ballads Ireland was a rich source of soldiers for the British Army throughout the 19th century. Between Don John and the King of Spain, Do you see anything of my son John? Bruce Springsteen’s brilliant version is in FMinor. For he run a race with a cannonball. The words are from Colm Ó Lochlainn (ed. HISTORICAL REFERENCES: “This song of the Peninsular War dates, according to one source, to 1815. YOUTUBE AUDIO: download Cruel Britannia call for war. Then, as now, Bruce Springsteen Lyrics and chords. Both Tommy Makem and The Dubliners with Ronnie Drew on lead vocals performed Mrs McGrath in C major. “Here’s my son Ted, will you clear the way.”. Andy Turner learned My Son John The song tells the story of a woman whose son enters the British Army and returns seven years later having lost his legs to a cannonball while fighting against Napoleon presumably at the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro (fought between 3 and 5 May 1811). You'll be back from Iraq, from Afghanistan, from the Taliban, Now Mrs. McGrath, wouldn't you like that?”, Chorus (after each verse): Stumps of a tree wouldn’t do at all AUTHOR: unknown With a new fur coat and a big cocked hat, D Em Scarlet coat, a big cocked hat, Mrs. McGrath would you like that?" When they swiped the legs of a child of mine!”, O my son Tim was a bosun's mate Is the poor boy living or is he gone? Sean Doyle sang Mrs McGrath Tim Hart & Maddy Prior > The recruiting sergeants were despised by the Irish who resented British rule. “Yer two fine legs were yer mother’s pride Click here for the Bruce Springsteen lyrics and chords for Mrs McGrath and more information of the capo positions he uses. Bet you run quicker than you did before. The earliest account of it in Ireland seems to be 1876 when Sam Henry’s informant learned it … Or did you go walking upon the sea, “Would you like to make a soldier out of your son Ted? All foreign wars, I do proclaim, Between Don Juan and the King of Spain, It is best known as Mrs McGrath. (3-5 May, 1811). Timothy Walsh of Devonport, Devon sang My Son Tim Mrs McGrath—“Mrs McGrath,” the sergeant said, in 1969 for their second duo album (Roger Parkinson, The Peninsular War, 1973). Last updated Doors at Eight. Info and videos of new Irish performers, Ireland continues to produce world class folk musicians. Mrs. McGrath (Album Version) song by Bruce Springsteen now on JioSaavn. Performed frequently on the subsequent Sessions Band Tour, this incarnation was included on the 2007 Bruce Springsteen with The Sessions Band: Live in Dublin audio and video release. on their 2010 album “Would you like to make a soldier of your son Ted [4] The "My Son John" version of the song has been recorded by several different artists, including Martin Carthy with The Imagined Village, Tim Hart and Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span, Lew Bear, and actor John C. Reilly. Got carbon fibre blades instead. Mrs McGrath Would you [G]like to make a soldier out of [D7]your son Ted? Well then, if I had you back again, Bruce Springsteen With your [Em]too-ri-aa, [G]foll di diddle-da, Wi your [Em]too-ri-aa, [G]folly diddle-aa, Too-ri, [D7]oo-ri, [G]oo-ri-aa But now he's got no legs at all, Mrs. McGrath This song is by Bruce Springsteen and appears on the album We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions (2006) and on the live album Live In Dublin (2007) by … Till she saw a big ship sailing into the bay, Between Don Juan and the King of Spain, Scots and Irishmen punched their way over the corpses and reached the river; The general theme of the song is one of opposition to war. Is the poor boy living or is he dead? Mrs McGrath dates from the early 19th century and the time of the Peninsular War when Britain , Spain, Portugal and Napoleon’s France fought over the Iberian Penisula, covering the territories of modern day Spain and Portugal. Here are some of the best. Mrs McGrath is the name of an emotional song about a young man being recruited to the army and then being injured in battle. Ireland was a rich source of soldiers for the British Army throughout the 19th century. Wore these legs right down to the knee. Are you here with the living, are you back with the dead? Showcase He was sometimes known as "The Bard of Armagh" (taken from a traditional song of the same name) and "The Godfather of Irish Music". A recording of Gigspanner playing Mrs McGrath “The Devil’s Own”). And I’ll make them rue the time, But now he's got no legs at all Get instant explanation for any acronym or abbreviation that hits you anywhere on the web. Songs > Videos This video shows them at Bridport Arts Centre, Bridport UK: He also sang it live at Freeland Barbour and Friends concerts in 2015/16. But now he's got no legs at all Chord Converter Me toorye oorye oorye-ay, NOTICE: I’m not the best guitar player or vocalist, but no one loves these songs more than I do. Become A Better Singer In Only 30 Days, With Easy Video Lessons! The Music and the Land. Roud 678 Celtic Thunder - the kings of Social Media, Museum to honour One Direction star Niall Horan, Susan Boyle bullied after doctor’s incorrect diagnosis, Van Morrison – the ten million airplays man, In-ear earphones ‘damaging’ children’s hearing. Or have been sailin’ on the Medi-te-reen? Ireland was a rich source of … Mrs McGrath’s son Ted is sent off to fight in this war after being recruited into the British Army with the promise of “a scarlet coat and a big cocked hat”. It was also sung by Irish soldiers fighting on both sides of the American Civil War. English music album We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions. Saying, Glory be to God sure it wouldn’t be you? Or was it from walking by the sea, Cruel Britannia call for war, she calls for war 83.169.20.58; fight in the Peninsular War against the forces of Napoleon, and who returned Bruce Springsteen did a brilliant haunting version of the song. Mrs McGrath dates from the early 1800s and was first published as a broadside ballad in Dublin in 1815. "Mrs. McGrath" (also known as "Mrs. McGraw", "My Son Ted", "My Son John", and "The Sergeant and Mrs. McGrath") is an Irish folk song set during the Peninsular War of the early 19th century. He could whistle but he never ran a rate, 2. He ran a race with a cannon ball. My son John was tall and slim With me toorye oorye oorye-ay "Oh, Mrs. McGrath," the sergeant said "Would you like to make a soldier out of your son Ted With a scarlett coat and a big cocked hat Oh, Mrs. McGrath, wouldn't you like that?" This version tells the story of a country boy who goes to college in Dublin but fails due to spending all his money and time on "women and drink". In 1958 the song was recorded by Burl Ives on Songs of Ireland (Decca DL-8444) and by the Belafonte Folk Singers (RCA LPM-1760) under the name of "The Sergeant and Mrs. McGrath". [1] Irish folk song collector Colm Ó Lochlainn described "Mrs. Grath" as "known to every true born citizen of Dublin". on the 2006 anthology of pirate ballads, sea songs and chanteys, Tim Hart and Maddy Prior recorded this song as My Son John : The Group Singing Songbook (Peter Blood and Annie Patterson) A Sing Out! ), “For I was tall, I was slim, ], Cruel Britannia call for war, Server: The Stanfields also recorded the song with modified lyrics for their 2012 album Death & Taxes. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Videos favourite marching song of the Irish Volunteers in the years prior to 1916. I was tall, I was slim, The text of this version is much shorter. Mrs McGrathBruce SpringsteenVideosLyrics and chordsBruce Springsteen Lyrics and chords. Lyrics and chords I’d never let you go to fight the King of Spain, The anger and frustration is only to be expected, but part of the poignancy of the song is that Mrs McGrath’s threat is essentially meaningless. They noted: Fred Hamer “All foreign wars I do proclaim Ted is away at war for seven years and when he eventually returns, his mother’s delight turns to horror when she sees that his legs are missing, blown away by a cannonball. The recruiting sergeant was a dreaded figure in those days, for if you accepted his shilling for a drink, you could be legally Like the Sun A-Glittering. If anyone has another explanation, 12 Nov. 2020. She smiled, she kissed him over the [lore? Than the King of France and his whole navy. I’m not entirely sure why but there’s something And in their place two wooden pegs With me too-rye-ay Foddle-diddle-day My son John was tall and slim No I wasn't deaf, I was not blind, You better stay away from the harvest home. In the original song, Mrs. McGrath would rather have her "son as he used to be than the King of France and his whole navy." Now [G]Mrs Mc[D7]Grath, wouldn’t [G]you like that? Info and videos of new Irish performers, Ireland continues to produce world class folk musicians. This is a theme Bruce Springsteen highlighted in his version of the song. For I’d rather have me Ted as he used to be, Tim Hart and Maddy Prior recorded this song as My Son John in 1969 for their second duo album Folk Songs of Old England Vol. He had a leg for every limb. Jack the lad, he went off to war, ; Henry H131 In Springsteen's version, this is changed to "King of America.".