Source: The Mexico, ME crime data displayed above is derived from the FBI's uniform crime reports for the year of 2018. Coronavirus cases in Mexico remain high. Sonora state due to crime… This border closure has recently been extended until November 21st. Our trip planners in CDMX say that you don’t have to sacrifice comfort or security to find authentic things to do in Mexico City. The crime report encompasses more than 18,000 city and state law enforcement agencies reporting data on property and violent crimes. People are mugged for nice cameras, pockets are picked, etc. Teotihuacan Morning Tour with an Archeologist and Tequila tasting, Teotihuacan, Tlatelolco, Guadalupe Shrine and Tequila Tasting Tour, Private Tour: Teotihuacan and Guadalupe Shrine, http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html. , which are very affordable in Mexico City. It does happen on main streets during the day. Like any city, Mexico City has its fair share of pickpockets and, If a stranger asks for money, your phone, or documents, give a firm. Clicking on the Programa Paisan icon shows recommended routes between major destinations, and to maps of police stations, tourism offices, washrooms, and locations of Green Angels (Angeles Verdes, a system of practical support for visitors to Mexico in times of natural disaster). Violent crime is less common in Mexico City than in other parts of the country. And regarding transportation, I never had a problem on the metro, but Uber is the safest (and cheapest) way to get around. Mexico City (Spanish: Ciudad de México, locally [sjuˈða(ð) ðe ˈmexiko] (); abbreviated as CDMX; Nahuatl languages: Āltepētl Mēxihco) is the capital and largest city of Mexico and the most-populous city in North America. Locals provided these safety tips: Like any city, Mexico City has its fair share of pickpockets and common scams, especially in crowded areas like the metro. People have said that crime is so much lower now but I can tell you from my experience, it's absolutely not. How do I get to the pyramids at Teotihuacán, Preferred Hotels & Resorts in Mexico City, InterContinental (IHG) Hotels in Mexico City, Hotels near Museo Nacional de Antropologia, Hotels near Basilica de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, Hotels near Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana), Hotels near Historic Center (Centro Historico), Hotels near National Palace (Palacio Nacional). Nuevo Leon state due to crime. A “narcomanta” — a banner used by criminal groups to make announcements and threats — was also found on the scene. Should you feel ill after drinking alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages, go to one of the three. Calling from the U.S.: 011-52-55-5080-2000, After hours emergencies: 01-52-55-5080-2000, press 0 for the duty officer. “Many can’t report [these crimes] because they don’t even have a license to operate,” the journalist said. Mexico City is one of the most important cultural and financial centres in the world. Identified with a red marker are Mexico City’s three most dangerous boroughs. Safest area to stay if venturing out at night. Below, we cover everything from tap water to neighborhood tips. Felix boutique apartments by Viador. So benefit from local advice! The Mexico crime map provides a detailed overview of all crimes in Mexico as reported by the local law enforcement agency. This route planner is also available via an app. The National Insitute for Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migración - INM) operates a program called the Programa Paisano to inform people travelling to, from or within Mexico about their rights and obligations and to combat corruption. While Mexico City authorities have traditionally denied the presence of large organized criminal groups in the capital, evidence demonstrates the contrary. Not safe at all. Unfortunately, there are bad sorts everywhere and Mexico City is seeing more and more of them. Unported License.See Privacy Policy, Investigation and Analysis of Organized Crime, Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial 3.0, Drug Tunnel Discovery Highlights Battle for Mexico City’s Largest Market. I do think crime and safety are issues to take seriously in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? was just there for the first time in 20 years. Violence between criminal groups in Mexico City is not new, but it is unusual for it to be displayed in such heavily traveled areas as Avenida Insurgentes, which is regularly monitored and has state presence. The fact that you were unaware of this truly shows your lack of culture.