Henoch–Schönlein purpura occurred in a patient taking spiramycin [10]. At MedicineNet, we believe it is important to take charge of your health through measures such as a living healthy lifestyle, practicing preventative medicine, following a nutrition plan, and getting regular exercise. Zinc deficiency caused due to diarrhea. Paolo Lentini, ... Roberto Dell'Aquila, in Critical Care Nephrology (Third Edition), 2019, Lead poisoning produces a metallic taste in the mouth, nausea, vomiting, diffuse abdominal pain, paresthesias, muscle weakness, and severe anemia with acute hemolytic crisis. Antibiotics are medications used to kill or slow the growth of bacteria and some fungi. By continuing you agree to the use of cookies. STEVEN HERSKOVITZ, HERBERT H. SCHAUMBURG, in Peripheral Neuropathy (Fourth Edition), 2005, The most common side effects are headache, nausea, xerostomia, a metallic taste, and occasionally vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal discomfort. I had no appetite. ©1996-2020 MedicineNet, Inc. All rights reserved. Parenterally administered vitamin B12 may be associated with anaphylaxis. Patients who experience constipation may be supplied with a stool softener. associated viral infections of the inner ear. Discolored urine, rash, urticaria, urethral or vaginal burning, gynecomastia, and reversible neutropenia have also been noted. P.K. The fatal dose is 5 g and the fatal period is up to 24 h. Symptom-based treatment should include removal of clothing and washing of the contaminated skin with water. 42 years experience Gastroenterology. There’s no one way to treat or prevent a metallic taste in your mouth. The links above will provide you with more detailed information on these medical conditions to help you inform yourself about the causes and available treatments for these conditions. Hope I have answered your query. Copyright © 2020 Elsevier B.V. or its licensors or contributors. I had a metallic taste in my mouth and an over active sense of smell. A disulfiram-like effect (see p. 147) occurs with alcohol because metronidazole inhibits alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase; patients should be warned appropriately. 0 comment. There are many other medical conditions that also can be associated with your symptoms. By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions, Download Here Free HealthCareMagic App to Ask a Doctor, All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Diarrhea; Headache; Metallic Taste In Mouth; While the symptoms above can be considered a guide to help associate symptoms common among the conditions below, this is not a substitute for a diagnosis from a health care provider. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Iron may also discolor the urine. Patients also occasionally complained of abdominal cramp and nausea after eating raw, cooked, or processed pine nuts. It is used as suicidal and homicidal poisoning. Food poisoning has many causes, for example, chemicals (from toxic fish or plants) and bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus or Salmonella). I have reviewed your query and here is my advice. Rare but serious adverse neurologic reactions include seizures, encephalopathy, ataxia, and peripheral neuropathy. Treatment will depend on the cause. Reversible CNS dysfunction may include lethargy, disorientation, confusion, dysarthria, and cerebellar ataxia.2,171,201 High cumulative doses cause seizures.130,152 One study of 37 patients receiving high-dose metronidazole as a radiosensitizer reported a 25% incidence of dizziness, tremors, ataxia, and confusion.374 Magnetic resonance imaging in two cases with encephalopathy and ataxia showed reversible T2-weighted hyperintensities in the cerebellar nuclei, supratentorial white matter, corpus callosum, and inferior basal ganglia and around the fourth ventricle.2,171, A predominantly sensory polyneuropathy may follow large, cumulative doses37,85,208,316,414; one patient had only intermittent-dose therapy of 2 g/day for 5 days every other month.98 A case with associated limb ataxia and generally absent sensory nerve action potentials suggests that this may represent a sensory neuronopathy.151 A maximum daily dose of 800 mg is well tolerated in long-term controlled trials of patients with Crohn's disease.349 In another study, 1200 mg/day for 2 to 4 weeks resulted in subclinical but statistically significant nerve conduction changes.184 The prevalence of abnormal neurologic exams or nerve conduction studies was 85% in a study of long-term metronidazole in pediatric Crohn's disease.102 Clinical features include distal paresthesias; pain; little or no weakness; glove-stocking sensory loss to touch, pinprick, and vibration; and occasionally absent ankle jerks. Will this go away ? Thyroid hormones, antithyroid drugs. Hi, Metallic taste of mouth can be due to antibiotics. Its use in pregnancy does not seem to be associated with any congenital abnormalities, preterm delivery, or low birth weight in newborns, and the drug has an FDA pregnancy category B classification. Goitre can occur (see above) with prolonged use of iodide-containing expectorant by bronchitics and asthmatics. Metallic Taste in Your Mouth Treatment and Prevention. 2. Gradually, your symptoms should subside and you should be back to normal. The adverse reactions were initially attributed to local anesthetic toxicity associated with epidural analgesia; however, epidural catheter aspiration was negative, suggesting that the catheter was not placed intravenously, and the temporal relation to spiramycin administration suggested that the drug was the more probable cause. symptoms like vertigo and nausea, and help ear pain. Although the cause of pine mouth is not exactly known yet, mixing of pine nuts that are regarded as inedible with edible nuts may be a contributing factor. Click here to visit our Symptom Checker. Single suicidal overdoses with up to 15 g result in nausea, vomiting, and ataxia; doses from 3.6 to 19.5 g are tolerated without significant morbidity.363, Neurotoxicity with long-term metronidazole is related to cumulative dose and duration of treatment. Because metronidazole affects DNA synthesis, numerous studies have addressed its potential to cause birth defects. Minor adverse reactions associated with metronidazole include reversible neutropenia, metallic taste, dark or red-brown urine, skin rash, urethral or vaginal burning sensation, gynecomastia, and nausea and vomiting. I had a metallic taste in my mouth and an over active sense of smell. Terms of Use. Taste dysgeusia is a lingering, unpleasant sensation in the mouth that causes a person to experience a metallic, foul, or rancid taste. Iodide intake above that in a normal diet will depress thyroid uptake of administered radioiodine, because the two forms will compete. I didn t take any medication for the diarrhea but I take several meds due to a heart attack 2 yr. ago. The diarrhea has stopped but I have a metallic taste and cannot taste my food. In the case of diet, medication, and water-soluble radio-diagnostic agents, interference with thyroid function will cease 2–4 weeks after stopping the source, but with agents used for cholecystography it may last for 6 months or more (because of tissue binding). Kindly take multivitamin-mineral supplementation for 15 days. Iron tablets are the most common cause of accidental overdose (and death) for children younger than 6 years of age. Mark Farrington, in Clinical Pharmacology (Eleventh Edition), 2012. include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, furred tongue and an unpleasant metallic taste in the mouth; also headache, dizziness and ataxia. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice. Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician. From: Encyclopedia of Food Sciences and Nutrition (Second Edition), 2003, Diana C. Brown, in Clinical Pharmacology (Eleventh Edition), 2012. include: a metallic taste, excessive salivation with painful salivary glands, running eyes and nose, sore mouth and throat, a productive cough, diarrhoea, and various rashes that may mimic chickenpox. There are many other medical conditions that also can be associated with your symptoms. Parenterally administered iron may cause anaphylactic hypersensitivity reactions, serum sickness, and pain at the site of injection.