Over the last several months, when factories, offices, restaurants and other places of social gathering have been (intermittently) shut, people’s creativity has taken all sorts of unexpected directions. The coronavirus pandemic is a global phenomenon, but different countries have adopted different responses to it according to their local circumstances and traditions. To abandon or forsake someone or something. All content on this website, including dictionary, thesaurus, literature, geography, and other reference data is for informational purposes only. left behind. This is true not only in terms of public-health measures, but also in terms of the language used to describe the disease and its consequences. The teacher was afraid that the younger students were getting left behind. We're going to be left behind by the rest of the world. I left behind teaching to focus on writing my novel. The tech giant has totally left behind its competition in the mobile phone market. It’s no surprise that quite a few of the words on Collins Word of the Year 2020 shortlist have one big thing in common: the pandemic. behind. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/leave+behind, A Roman gentleman stood by his side and explained to him the skilful construction and ingenuity of the vast fabric and its wonderful architecture, and when they had left the skylight he said to the emperor, 'A thousand times, your Sacred Majesty, the impulse came upon me to seize your Majesty in my arms and fling myself down from yonder skylight, so as to, "Now I have got you," said Sancho; "in that case the fame of them who bring the dead to life, who give sight to the blind, cure cripples, restore health to the sick, and before whose tombs there are lamps burning, and whose chapels are filled with devout folk on their knees adoring their relics be a better fame in this life and in the other than that which all the heathen emperors and knights-errant that have ever been in the world have left or may, It is also much better for those tyrants who quit their kingdom to do this than to, There are around 19,000 students in NUI Galway and they, Illustrated with vintage black-and-white photographs and reproductions of correspondence throughout, What We, once the wind came up, we soon left the land behind us, Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, leave be to avoid touching, bothering, or communicating with. Sleeping With Sirens debuted "Leave It All Behind" during their performance at London's All Points East Festival on May 21, 2019. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. The actor left behind a legacy when he died. I can't believe you would leave behind your whole family. the book to my brother for a couple of weeks. Something that changed everyone’s lives so profoundly – leaving no country or continent untouched – was bound to have a significant impact on our language. This information should not be considered complete, up to date, and is not intended to be used in place of a visit, consultation, or advice of a legal, medical, or any other professional. past participle. To put an increasing amount of distance between oneself and someone or something else. We decided to leave the kids behind when we go to Paris this spring so we can have a bit of time to ourselves. afraid to put into practice, Many people were left behind and aren't at all. https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/leave+behind, 1. We left the city behind us as we drove away. If a person, country, or organization is left behind, they remain at a lower level than others because they are not as quick at understanding things or developing. To do increasingly better (in some field, activity, or situation) than someone or something else. and that it is time to stop: Let's leave it at that for today and meet again tomorrow.