Stir in the mushrooms, bay leaves, broth, tomato paste, and Guinness; bring to a boil, then cover and put into the oven. Field mushrooms (portabella); as many as you like; sliced, 2 handfuls of shredded white cheddar cheese. I loooove lobster, only this time I bought quite a large one and was a little afraid when the ‘moment’ arrived… No chance in using the knife method, I know it is the quickest and most humane, I just can’t, my upper lip is wobbling just thinking about it (my last information is that it is not allowed in Germany anyway, says one cookbook, strange though) – I wear thick leather gloves, get the longest bbq tongs and a stiff drink. Have a cozy evening in front of that lovely fire. This is made particularly easy by using puff pastry for the top pie layer! My husband lives to make this on a lazy Sunday, because it takes a burst of cooking to begin with, but then you get to put it into the oven and let it cook while you go and hang with the family. I was so annoyed, when we were in England a year or so ago, all the people who would say “Oh, isn’t the food awful?” Good lord! salt & black pepper Post a link to another recipe or group by pasting the url into the box where you want it to show up. Did you read about the lobster? What a lovely ode to English food, and a stunning how great it can be. Nicole xx. 2 Päckchen Blätterteig (ca. 3 carrots, chopped Take them out of the pot and set the aside. 2 Flaschen Guinness (660ml) Bring to a simmer, close the pan with its lid and either leave the mixture on a slow simmer for 2-2½ hours on the hob (which I do if I cook it in two stages: precook the filling and finish the pie later) or in a preheated oven (190°C / 375°F). Use chuck for the beef, NEVER no-taste-round! Take Note We will not respond to member emails. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Absolutely true, Michelle and thank you. One of the best days, food wise, in my family’s life was the day we discovered Jamie Oliver’s Steak and Guinness Pie. We'll do the rest. Make ahead & freeze: While it may seem a lot of work at first glace, it really isn’t. I love the contrast between the rich, but slightly bitter stew (reduce the Guinness to one bottle or can if you are wary of it) and the buttery puff pastry – I forgot to stress that it should be an all-butter puff pastry. They have a first encounter where sparks fly: ours happened in children’s books and English literature and who could not fall in love with the descriptions of picture perfect countryside picnics, mad tea-parties or feasts in Sherwood Forest? Thank you for the lovely recipe, just what the doctor ordered, Jxxx, Jeanette, my pleasure! The herbs listed are just a suggestion. 15. line the bottom of a oven safe bowl or pie pan that is about 4 inches deep and 8-10 inches in diameter with the puff pastry. Salz & schwarzer Pfeffer ein großzügiges Stück Butter Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. J xxx, No need to be sorry, none at all. ( Log Out /  Leave to cool a little or cool completely, mix with the grated cheddar and keep in the fridge until use. I don’t know why people cling to old stereotypes, long after they’ve had any relevance. ): I am married to a wonderful British husband, visiting England regularly and indulging in my love for most things British (& rhapsodizing about here), which has certainly taught me a thing or two about English food – first of all: it can be amazing. The herbs listed are just a suggestion. 20. press around the edges so the top puff pastry is sealed to the bottom puff pastry. 500g / 1lb 2oz / 2 packages puff pastry Die Füllung in die Form geben, mit der zweiten Blätterteigplatte dedecken, die Ecken einrollen und gut zusammendrücken (sehr effektiv & dekorativ mit den Zinken einer Gabel). Das Ziel ist aber ein konzentriertes, dunkles dem Gulasch verwandtes Stew zu erhalten und keine Suppe. 14. roll out puff pastry to about 3mm if needed; some puff pastries already come rolled out, you just need to unfold them from the package. No idea what to search for? Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. A cashmere blanket for the soul! 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped. The protagonists are textbook romantic drama types: the beautiful heroine (me, of course) and the misunderstood, ill-reputed and much maligned British cuisine with its hidden charm & a pedigree of manifold honourable ancestors (all to be revealed in the course of the dramatic events). a generous knob of butter 1 onion, peeled and chopped. Brush the top with the egg wash and bake on the bottom (or the bottom rack) of the oven for 45-50 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Etwas abkühlen lassen oder, wenn der Pie erst später gemacht werden soll, komplett abkühlen lassen, den geriebenen Cheddar untermischen und im Kühlschrank aufbewahren. 1 egg, beaten with a little water or milk. Don't feel like messing up my kitchen for. ( Log Out /  3 garlic cloves, minced Reality came down as a hammer, literally shattering those idyllic images with really ghastly fish & chips, horrendous breakfasts, weak tea & cardboard sandwiches on my first trip to England (late 80’s) where the food lived up to the bad rep it had abroad. Hooray! This is made particularly easy by using puff pastry for the top pie layer! butter for the dish What a delicious looking pie! Advertising on Group Recipes is sold by SheKnows.com. 1-2 sprigs of rosemary Chicken Fricassee with Mushrooms served with Rice. 1-2 Rosmarinzweige Top up with water until everything is covered. Ich habe auch schon kleine Pies (nur mit einer Blätterteighaube) eingefroren und dann langsam gebacken bis sie aufgetaut, heiß und goldbraun waren. ( Log Out /  I agree, it’s always good to look past the ‘comfortable’ stereotypes and find out for yourself, discover new things and reexamine former impressions. A dish my husband will lap up:) Thank you Shygurrl. I have ordered extra logs for the fire and will now spend my weekend making and then munching my way through this wonderfully comforting dish. It was almost always wonderful. 24. towards the end of the cook time for the pie, cook a package of frozen peas according to package directions. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or other ovenproof casserole pan with a lid over medium-hot heat and in small portions brown the stewing steak on all sides, seasoning each time you fry a new batch. Even if there are just one, two, three of you, it is best to make the whole amount of filling, divide into applicable portions and there is a comforting pie up your sleeve when urgently needed (or persuaded). 13. pull stew filling out of oven and stir in 1 handful of shredded white cheddar cheese. It comes with the father-in-law seal of approval (a proper Cornish man). And surprising, fresh, light & startling beautiful (I only wish my husband would be a seafood fanatic as I am). If you want to skip the puff pastry layer, you could serve this as a normal stew. 25. once pie is finished cooking, pull out of the oven; spoon peas over top of each pie serving. 400g / 14 oz brown / cremini mushrooms, quartered sauté onions on the stove top with a little olive oil, salt and pepper until slightly browned in a deep pot. 23. put pie in the oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until bubbly and golden. My husband lives to make this on a lazy Sunday, because it takes a burst of cooking to begin with, but then you get to put it into the oven and let … Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Die Zwiebeln im gleichen Topf (gegebenenfalls etwas mehr Öl in den Topf geben) anschwitzen, dann Knoblauch, Möhren, Sellerie hinzugeben, mit Salz & Pfeffer würzen und ein paar Minuten kochen bevor man Butter, Rosmarin und Pilze hinzufügt. 1kg / 2 lbs 3 oz stewing steak, cut into cubes (2cm / ¾ inch) Use the Help Forum for that. www.grouprecipes.com/41153/jamie-olivers-steak-and-guinness-pie.html Decant the filling into the lined dish, cover with the second pastry sheet and seal the edges (roll and crimp with a fork). Check about half way through, give it a stir and top up with a little water only if by any chance the stew has run dry – the filling should be a proper rich, dark & thick-ish stew not a soupy thing. ( Log Out /  One stellar example is certainly Steak & Guinness pie. Das geht entweder im vorgeizten Backofen (190°C) oder auf dem Herd (was ich mache, wenn ich die Füllung im Voraus zubereite und den Steak & Guinnes Pie erst später oder am nächsten Tag backen will). 2 heaped tbs flour. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add more oil if you need to, then add the celery, onion, and garlic. Let me know how yours turned out, N xx, Having just returned form a shopping trip in town, my hair full of hail (I was totally unprepared, as usual) I am greeted with your new post: the perfect antidote to rubbish weather! Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Yumm. Love this pie!! Olive oil 1kg / 2 lbs 3 oz stewing steak, cut into cubes (2cm / ¾ inch) 3 red onions, chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 3 carrots, chopped 2-3 sticks of celery, chopped a generous knob of butter 1-2 sprigs of rosemary 400g / 14 oz brown / cremini mushrooms, quartered 400g braune Champignons, geviertelt 3 Karotten, in mittelgroße Würfel geschnitten (nicht zu klein, nicht zu groß) ( Log Out /  1 carrot, peeled and chopped. Nov 20, 2013 - A traditional steak and Guinness pie done by my favorite British chef, Jamie Oliver. In the same pan, heat a little more oil and sweat the onions until soft and fragrant. I have even made individual pies (with only a pastry top) and froze them to be slowly baked until done. 20 min 1 ora 40 min jamie oliver guinness stew Read recipe >> jamie oliver ~ chicken in milk. Nearly had the pot problem (out-sourcing, what a great idea). 31.10.2017 - A traditional steak and Guinness pie done by my favorite British chef, Jamie Oliver. Precooking & Freezing: The filling freezes really well and could be made in advance. Dry the meat thoroughly with kitchen paper. I am going to tell you a (food) love story. Wasser 19. cover with another piece of puff pastry that has been lightly scored with a knife; in watching the show, I am pretty sure you are not supposed to cut all the way through the pastry. 2 gehäufte EL Mehl sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Even the French seem to think so. Encased by buttery puff pastry (a delicious deviation from the original hot-water crust pastry here), where a slightly soggy bottom can be heavenly and serving it with a heaping mount of vivid green peas is non-negotiable. Change ). Butter zum Einfetten der Form 18. brush the outer edge of the puff pastry with the beaten egg (this will act like glue when you put the top on). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out /  11. pour in beef stock to top off stew; liquid should not cover beef. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Olive oil. N xx. 17. sprinkle the other handful of shredded cheddar cheese on top of stew filling. If you want to skip the puff pastry layer, you could serve this as a normal stew. 1kg Rindergulasch (2cm große Würfel) 500g) 200g Englischer Cheddar (gelb, nicht orange), gerieben 21. fold in excess puff pastry that is draping over the bowl/pan so it has a crinkled look on the top. If you have a business development or DMCA inquiry, Click Here. Then, crisis! Nach der Hälfte der Zeit einmal umrühren und nur in dem Fall, dass keine Flüssigkeit mehr vorhanden sein sollte, etwas Wasser hinzugeben. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft. 12. cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours in oven safe pot or bowl. 1 Ei, mit ein wenig Wasser oder Milch verquirlt. Small or individual Steak & Guinness pies: If you are making a smaller Steak & Guinness pie or individual portions, adjust the amount of puff pastry and cooking times. 2 heaped tablespoons flour 2 bottles Guinness (660ml / 22 fl.oz.) water Olivenöl Fast forward to years later (you are visualizing the movie, aren’t you? Jamie … Change ). I am told that the best way is to whack a 21″ knife tip just behind its eyes but I am too weak and sensitive to do such a thing…Hope it all went well, you are in my thoughts and sorry for the lobster suggestion, hope it will sort itself out.