Answer. - Meaning & Examples, AP English Language: Homework Help Resource, 9th Grade English: Homework Help Resource, 12th Grade English: Homeschool Curriculum, Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Grades English Language Arts (028): Practice & Study Guide, Biological and Biomedical Homophones are words that sound (phones) the same. The young birds weigh only a few grams. share the same pronunciation, regardless of how they are spelled. Top Answer. - Definition & Examples, Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones), What are Antonyms? What characteristics of an epic are shown in the story indarapatra and sulayman? It was such a waste. The fact that they are homophones makes them easily confused. The answer is simple: waisted, wasted are homophones of the English language. Homophone definitions – your complete list of homophones with definitions 1 2. Why do waste, waist sound the same even though they are completely different words? Earn Transferable Credit & Get your Degree, Get access to this video and our entire Q&A library, What is a Synonym? She worries too much about her waste line. Make sure you check out our complete homophones list. Homophones This is a list of British-English homophones. Having a waist of a specified kind: high-waisted; slim-waisted. almost 6 years ago: I wasted my life. - Definition & Examples, What Are Synonyms & Antonyms? The words waste, waist sound the same but have different meanings and spellings. Waist. I spent years and years learning Latin, Spanish, Mandarin, and Swahili but it turns out I just misheard my uncle when I though he told me "girls love a cunning linguist". Homophones that include waste. To listen to the pronunciation click on the sound symbol. waisted, wasted Like many homophones in English, waste and waist are frequently misused, in many cases leading to unfortunate and embarrassing blunders.. One of these words refers to a part of the human body, while the other deals with unwanted or excess material. Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. Did the Jonas Brothers Co-Write Get Back by Demi Lovato? 2020-04-08 09:40:05 2020-04-08 09:40:05. Frail and enfeebled, as from prolonged illness; emaciated. It was such a waist. if they are spelled differently then they are also heterographs (literally "different writing"). 1 2 3. What is the exposition of the story of sinigang? Sourced from Reddit, Twitter, and beyond! Homophones (literally "same sound") are usually defined as words that Two words are homophones of each other if they sound alike but have different meanings and spellings. if they are spelled differently then they are also heterographs (literally "different writing"). © copyright 2003-2020 Study.com. Where is Martha Elliott Bill Elliott ex-wife today? - Examples & Definition, Synonyms Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples, Suffixes Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples, What Are Compound Words? These pages are best viewed using the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, or IE. To cause to lose energy, strength, or vigor; exhaust, tire, or enfeeble: Disease wasted his body. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply. In fact, we just added these homophones almost 6 years ago: Here’s a complete A-Z list that contains thousands of different homophones. ; cell/sell: If you sell drugs, you will get arrested and end up in a prison cell. Make sure you check out our complete homophones list . Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! Read on to find out which is which, and whether you use waste or waist in a given context.. What is the Difference Between Waste and Waist? To use, consume, spend, or expend thoughtlessly or carelessly. Homophone definitions – your complete list of homophones with definitions are homophones of the English language. Still haven't found what you're looking for? 2020-04-08 09:40:05 2020-04-08 09:40:05. If they are spelled the same then they are also homographs (and homonyms); If you think we're missing any homophones, let us know by emailing me at al@homophone.com, You can also visit my main business at aafinancial.com.