and you're very welcome. Will make again! Nothing is complicated, yet simple. Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. Cover and simmer until chicken is no longer pink, about 15 minutes. Just like I say, "keep it simple." We used all breast meat to make it a little healthier. 61 ratings. leaves and save the stem bottom part and cut it in 2 inches length. It was pretty good. I would have given a 4 start rating but CL uses the description "worthy of a special occasion" and I wouldn't quite go that far. Good Sunday night dish with lots leftover for the week. Very quick, spicy, and yummy! Chinese 5-spice powder has a proven track record of awesomeness when combined with smoky, caramelized meats. Recipe by Oxmoor House September 2012 Save Pin Print. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. For this dish, I adapted its recipe from Thai-Chinese cooking using Chinese five-spice that creates an earthy flavor and those spices can give a heat power that will help warm up our body in the cold weather instantly. Followed the recipe but used mild salsa (1.5 cups), fire-roasted Rotel, a small onion diced, 3 Tbsp. For the missing ingredients, I just used what I had in the freezer: frozen mixed veggies, red potatoes and marinated southwest chicken. 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/3 cups), 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole-kernel corn, 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup), 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 10.5 ounces), 2 ½ cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, 4 (6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, cut into strips. I served with warm rolls. Serve this chicken stew over spinach noodles – like I did – or serve it soup less over cooked brown Jasmine rice for healthier version if you prefer and garnish with roasted garlic and chopped cilantro. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. … However, there are many steps involved in cooking this stew, but there also an easy way to do it with less hassle. It turned out great. This chicken stew takes under an hour, but it tastes like it's been simmering on the stove for hours. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, salsa and cumin. Share on pinterest. What a quick and great recipe! Top with sour cream if desired. Love to make this Sunday night and have leftovers. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper. Chicken and Egg Stew in Chinese Five-Spice The weather in L.A. is getting colder in December and what would be more perfect than a bowl of a comfy heart healthy soup like chicken stew. Added a can of black beans - added visual interest and made the dish more substantial. The only small complaint I have, and maybe its just my slow cooker, but as hot as the meal is when ready and no matter how small I cut my potatoes, they(the potatoes) always seem a little undercooked. Even my 15 month old liked it! I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, added 2 sliced carrots and used regular salsa rather than try to find "lime garlic salsa". Whisk flour and spice blend in a medium bowl. All in all very good, quick, and easy! This Moroccan chicken stew is inspired by a traditional tagine, a dish which takes its name from the pottery vessel it's made in (a skillet works here). Instead of parsley I added cilantro and at the end I did add a teaspoon of salt. throughout the meal. I made this at DH's request. Prep: 15 mins; Cook: 1 hr and 20 mins; Easy. Used chicken thighs browned and simmered with the garlic; served with sour cream, corn muffins with cilantro butter. Rating: 5 out of 5. The flavour can change easily with different salsas so it can be a different meal every time you make it. Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, salsa and cumin. We will definitely substitute yukon gold potatoes (in bigger chunks) next time as the texture of the baking potatoes--even after 4 hours of slow cooker time and an added 30 minutes of simmering on the stovetop--was way too firm for our tastes. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. 2 tbsp – Chinese five-spice blend powder or so called “Pa-loh”, 8 pieces – chicken legs or tight or wing whichever you preferred, 2 tbsp – sweet dark soy sauce or black soy sauce for the color. loading... Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov. Still turned out amazing! I substituted seasoned black beans for the chick peas and it turned out well. **Blanched Chinese broccoli or broccoli or cabbage whatever you like, **Cooked spinach noodles or rice noodle or jasmine rice. If you want to kick up the heat, use a hot salsa and a dash of hot sauce or ground red pepper. My wife could not stop saying "Yum!" It was very flavorful and I'll be making this one again at the request of the family. This is a favorite -- while maybe not worthy of a "special occasion". 3. Used double the celery and spices recommended. More. Thank you lvfrankg! I didn't have and cilantro, so I ommitted that. Share on twitter. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. I had all the ingredients on hand except a few. I cook because I love to eat. By Good Food team. MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. Hi Sissy Nui. From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. Return chicken to slow cooker. When you're craving cozy Mexican flavors, try this spicy chicken and chickpea stew. Place first 6 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. This hearty, satisfying one-pot is low fat and easy on the washing up. tomato paste, 1.5 tsp salt, 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels. Thanks again. This was a great meal for our family and very fast for me to make. Awsome job on the recipes. Top with sour cream if desired. This was a very good recipe. But it has to be checking continuously to prevent it’s boiling over. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Info. Serve with a hearty piece of toasted homemade bread. Salsa and chili powder add spice to this chicken stew, but probably not too much for timid tasters or kids. Hi, my name is Taylor and I am obsessed with Chinese five spice. Maybe I should just try a very small dice or precook a few minutes on the stove before placing in the slow cooker. Serves 6. Just listen to your appetite and play with your food! In a Dutch oven, cook chicken and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. 2. 5. This grilled five spice chicken recipe is a great example. Thanks for sharing. Let it continues cooking in the low to medium heat for about 25 minutes with lid half covered. Serve with a side of roasted vegetables and whole-wheat couscous, if desired. Garnish with parsley, if desired. On another reviewer's suggestion, used sweet potatoes instead of russet, which cooked up tender. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I put a link up to this post too, because it just looks so good. When it comes to boiling, add chicken legs and   cook for about 7 minutes. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. This looks positively wonderful. I substitute hash browns for the diced potatoes to make it even easier. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Rate. Home Recipes Ingredients Meat & Poultry Chicken. It was THE BOMB! Spicy chicken & bean stew. Also used only chicken breasts. Spicy, sweet and so tasty! Wow! I've never seen baking potatoes used in a stew recipe before, and now I know why! Stir in cilantro. PIN Chinese Five Spice Chicken Thighs. Very simple and hearty. My family likes things spicy so I use a large jar of "hot" salsa. Low the heat to medium and add sweet dark soy sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, chopped onions, cilantro stems, and hard boiled eggs. I substitute white potatoes with sweet potatoes. Stir tortilla strips into stew. Very good winter meal. I have made this stew probably about 5 times. I only had boneless, skinless chicken breasts, not thighs. And I promised after you have done this once, you will want to make it again and again and again. The weather in L.A. is getting colder in December and what would be more perfect than a bowl of a comfy heart healthy soup like chicken stew. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Preparation and cooking time . And trust me...you can cook anything, too. Very good. Wow! Water into the pot over medium to high heat. Facebook Tweet. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Spicy Chicken Stew Recipe photo by Taste of Home. This is my food and my cooking! Pressure Cooker Indian-Style Chicken and Vegetables, Roasted Chicken Thighs with Peppers & Potatoes, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained, 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with onions, undrained. Not only does it taste good, but it is healthy and hardy and overall lower in calories per serving. Nutrition Wow! 4. Stir in salsa and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). These Chinese Five Spice Chicken Thighs are a quick and easy dinner that is naturally gluten free, paleo friendly and healthy! Made it? I know it will go perfectly with the mango cocktail recipe. Place chicken on top of vegetables, and add broth. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Share on facebook. I cubed and browned the chicken instead of shredding it, but made no other changes. Hard-Boiled Eggs and Cucumber Salad with Thai Spic... Udon Noodles w/Shrimp and Veggies in Ginger Broth ... Chicken and Egg Stew in Chinese Five-Spice, Salmon Croquettes and simple Thai cucumber salad, Yum-Woon-Sen Goong /Thai Spicy Glass Noodle Salad with Shrimp, Tom Kha Goong / Thai Coconut Soup with Shrimp, Simple Green Tea Waffles & Honey-Strawberry Syrup, Soy-Braised Pork Spare Ribs with Shiitake Mushroom, Pla Tod Saam-Rod / Fried Whole Fish with Three-Flavored Sauce, BluntDinerz Las Vegas Food and Drink Blog.