The teacher asks questions about the text, the students answer them, and then develop predictions about the text. Content Area Examples: This strategy can be used in any subject not just reading. Directed Reading/Thinking Activity is an important strategy because it actively teaches students the skill of comprehension. DRTA is also a very flexible strategy in that it can be used individually, with a small group, or with an entire class. (2014). Example for Language Arts: Use a DRTA with the children’s book The Amazing Bone EXPLORE HERE>>> My Thoughts! You do have to monitor while they are reading to make sure they're following instructions. There are ten students participating, but the camera remains on me the entire time. During this activity students are only seeing a certain portion of the text at a time. Choose a text to be used and have select points for students to stop during reading . Ms. Young's Teaching Strategies: Home Resources for Lesson Planning Directed Reading and Thinking Activities What Works Blog Presentations/Workshops Directed Reading and Thinking Activities (DRTA) Sample Available for purchase here or at Teachers Pay Teachers. Or, "Remember, don't read a section until I tell you to." The DRTA activity can provide teachers with … This strategy allows students to focus on comprehension and make predictions as they read. 3. DRTA cycle. Hallahan, D. P., Kauffman, J. M., & Pullen, P. C. (2015). Use small groups to help collaboration and depth of predictions. This sample activity is taken from the book which is available for purchase. Begin to read each of the “chunked” sections, one at a time. Use the following outline to guide the procedure: D = Direct . ​Jennings, J., Caldwell, J., & Lerner, J. Repeat instruction 2 and 3 until you reach the end of the text. Students enjoy making predictions and then finding out whether or not their predictions were correct. When searching for an appropriate text, consider the following: If some of your students are familiar with the text, they will not be able to make appropriate predictions because they will have more information than the rest of the students. Writing may be included, use this for advances students or for student who learn best by re-writing information, visualizing it. This is a great strategy for auditory and visual learners. Introduce the text, the purpose of the DRTA, and provide examples of how to make predictions. The teacher asks questions about the text, the students answer them, and then develop predictions about the text. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Students might try to peek when you first begin doing this activity. It can be used in math, science, and social studies as well. Below is a video of me (Ms. Young) doing DRTA in the classroom. The Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA) is a comprehension strategy that guides students in asking questions about a text, making predictions, and then reading to confirm or refute their predictions. ( Log Out /  Introduce the text, the purpose of the DRTA, and review  predictions. As the students move through the text, their predictions are changed and modified according to the new … This is because the text needs to be typed up and “chunked” ahead of time. These are the steps in a DRTA. For specific content reading, the teacher can present the headings from the chapter. Depending on the level of your students, you can ask them to consider the author’s role in their predictions and encourage them to look at the strategies that the author used to keep them guessing or to make them change their predictions. Text Used: Baba Yaga as retold by Joy Cowley, Open the following to see how the text was chunked: BabaYaga, Open the following to see the list of pre-prepared comprehension questions: BYQuestions. Retrieved form http://drta.wikispaces.com/Strategy+Description?responseToken=0ed8d3cb27a27359f2dcdb046dee428a1. Students then assess their predictions and adjust them and the answers if need. It always students to comprehend while reading, then going back for further understanding. (, At the end of every “chunked” section, ask both. DRTA may be time consuming, depending on the length of the text. The beginning and end points of these “chunks” will vary, depending on the text. In this example students make a prediction based on the title, picture clues, and graphics, they read the material, such as a short story about the topic or questions. Only the title." Allow longer time to process information. Throughout the video, there are annotations for teachers to follow and to help build a higher understanding of the process for using the DRTA instruction … I have found the bigger deal I make about not peeking, the more they do it, so at the beginning of the activity, I nonchalantly say, "Remember there is only one rule, and that is not to look ahead." Students then assess their … Students can read a book about a science topic or social studies topic and go … The picture above demonstrates an example of how DRTA can be used in math. The DRTA process encourages students to be active and thoughtful readers… 1. Directed Reading/Thinking Activity is a teaching strategy that allows the guides the students through the process of making predictions based on the information that the text has provided them. Also, look for texts that provide “chunking” opportunities of different lengths. Then it goes into an example of teaching special education students using this strategy! [Image]. Type of reading, especially for ELLs who do not have the same content understanding at the same level, Levels readers about same topic (some need more challenges some need less). Directed Reading/Thinking Activity is a teaching strategy that allows the guides the students through the process of making predictions based on the information that the text has provided them. The amount of reading should be adjusted to fit the purpose and the difficulty of the text. Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA). Students may get impatient if they are only able to read a sentence at a time, or they may get bored or tired if they are required to read paragraphs at a time. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Below is a video of me (Ms. Young) doing DRTA in the classroom. Also, SBR allows the teacher to monitor the students’ comprehension levels through basic discussion. Instruction: This video is provides a working example of the DRTA comprehension strategy and provides a teaching model for future implementation into the classroom. This strategy requires the text to be “chunked” into several different sections. This video is VERY informative on what ​Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA) is and how to implement the strategy in a classroom setting. I have provided the student copy and teacher's script (at the bottom of the page). It is a guided reading lesson that is used as a comprehension strategy with special education students. Teachers direct and activate students thinking prior to reading a passage by scanning the title, chapter headings, illustrations, and other materials. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Once you download the teacher's script you will see that I am following it almost verbatim. Please watch the video below where I demonstrate and explain how this strategy works with a group of grade 3/4 students. This can be done via overhead or computerized projection. I recommend printing the student copy, and trying to participate with the video, so you can see what the activity feels like to the students and how fun it is! The teacher presents students with a portion of the story – the title, first page, or first few paragraphs. Below is a demonstration of what it should look like when the teacher says, "Tell me what the title says. The picture to the left demonstrates an example of how DRTA can be used in math. Stauffer, R., (1975). Reflect on how the students’ predictions changed. A perfect time to end a section (or “chunk” a section) is where the text allows for predictions to be made. confirm the predictions. It can also be used in any subject and can meet the needs of any leveled reader. ( Log Out /  Change ). If all students What is the process that I need to follow? Encourage the students to look at how their predictions changed and ask them what made them change their predictions. or "Please silently read Section 1." You may use file folders or construction paper for student cover sheets. 2. ( Log Out /  ( Log Out /  Have any of my students read this text before? Chunk that text at its predictive points, and type it onto an overhead (. This strategy relies on the teacher actively modeling the art of comprehension for her students. DRTA is a motivating teaching strategy. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. What is Directed Reading/Thinking Activity (DRTA)? Reviewing the students’ past predictions serves as a comprehension check. Prepare a list of comprehension questions that can be asked throughout the activity. As the students move through the text, their predictions are changed and modified according to the new information that is provided from the text. In this example students make a prediction based on the title, picture clues, and graphics, they read the material, such as a short story about the topic or questions. A short text that none of the students are familiar with, typed up on an over head project. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Anything is fine as long as they cannot see through it. This video starts with the definition of Directed Reading Thinking Activity and some points that teacher might find useful. Sometimes this will occur after a paragraph, other times after only a sentence. Does the text provide ample predictive points where reading can be interrupted and discussion can be started? This strategy is great way to help encourage readers to be active and activate their prior knowledge.