What are the differences between an acoustic violin and an electric violin? He is well known in the music industry for his in-depth interviews with world famous guitar players and has played with many Australian iconic bands. Violas are tuned differently to a violin, so the fingering is different, but other than that the technique is basically the same. The violin and the viola look similar at first glance. They both make beautiful sounds, but while they seem similar, they are actually very different. They will be further apart on a viola because the gap between the strings is greater than the one on a violin. In fact, there are a lot of similarities between the viola and the violin: And yet by looking at the image below, you will identify the first difference between a violin and a viola: their size is significantly different. The next section is the "second violins". Since the viola is larger, its structure contains a greater amount of material, which means that it is heavier than the violin. Due to its larger size and the use of a lower string, the viola will produce a lower and darker sound. The violin’s body is usually about 35 centimetres (14 inches) long. For some reason, I'd been associating the viola more with a cello until my friend bought her son a viola. The length of the string requires larger gaps to be made. "Knowledge, difference between the violin, the viola, and their bows. Playing music is a skill for life that can benefit you in more ways you thought possible. You could play the same thing, I guess, but it would be in a lower octave. I know violins come in multiple sizes, so how can I make sure I don't mistake a 15" viola for, say a 1/10 violin? A is highest, and C is lowest. Is one easier to learn to play than the other? Note that violins are the only instruments with two sections, all the other instruments used in an orchestra have only one. differences between an electric and an acoustic violin. The best way to describe the sound is “deep and mellow” unlike that of violins, which is more pitchy. They are held in the same way: on the shoulder, They have the same number of strings (4 strings), They are played by rubbing a bow on the strings. How can I stop it? In this case, 93% of readers who voted found the article helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Person who plays Viola ~ Violist, Viola Player Person who plays Violin ~ Violinist, Fiddler It is tuned using the same principle as the violin, in fifths, except that it is in the lower fifth. Both are also held in the same position under the chin and held up by the shoulder. A needed instrument will have more opportunities for playing then one which has many available players. "Pretty much answered any questions. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. % of people told us that this article helped them. We will have two violin sections, while there will be only one viola section. The viola is read using the key of C and the key of G, while the violin is read using the key of G. Reading a score based on these two keys requires an adaptation since you have to learn to decode each of them. A major difference between viola and violin is that violas have the second-highest pitch of instruments in this family. To transform a violin into a viola, simply replace the violin strings with viola strings…. The viola will also impose greater physical constraints on the viola player’s arm, which must support a greater amount of weight. Love of the sound will carry the student through the hours of practice required. Reading all the given, "Our grandson is considering playing a viola. It is not a constant, but we are talking about bodies between 38 and 43cm. It's hard to say, because a 12" viola is the same as a 1/2 violin, while a 14" viola is the same 4/4 violin. The viola is tuned to be one-fifth lower than the violin. Whether you’d like to learn the violin, viola, or any other instrument, we’d love to take you on board. If you do switch, you will have to learn to read alto clef, and being a larger instrument, bowing is slightly heavier with the viola. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. how to fight recurrent pains of the violinist or violist? We wanted to know, and showed him also, differences between the violin. 13" viola would probably be cutting in close, but I suggest getting the 4/4 violin size so if it happens to be too big, you can adjust it back to the size of the actual viola. This is why when violists switch over to a violin and vice versa, they will have a hard time locating the position of their fingers. The size of the instrument also limits the flexibility of hand and body movements. No, because a viola has a lower sound on all four strings.