A young alligator basking. Although there is an American crocodile species, they only live in the southernmost tip of Florida, whereas alligators can be found across Florida and Louisiana, as well as in parts of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Now there's like 10 per square metre in a Lake that is 223km x 40km (22300m x 4000m). There are some impressive rice terraces dug into mountainsides, as well as beautiful waterfalls. For alligators, the upper jaw is wider than the lower one, so when they close their mouths, all their teeth are hidden. Notice that the snout of this adult crocodile looks pointed and some of the teeth on the lower jaw are clearly visible, in spite of the mouth being closed. Although these large reptiles belong to different families, they share a number of similarities, including long snouts, powerful tails, short legs, and bony-plated backs. Please refresh the page and try again. Which species is hunted for its meat and by whom? Thanks my bro had a project I helped him with. New York, relying on any of the information on this Website. What are the differences between the male and female alligators and how does one determine whether it is a male or female ? This is called an "overbite". Crocodiles are typically more aggressive than alligators, making them the more dangerous animal, particularly in Africa where attacks fatal on humans are fairly common. Contact us!advertise@facty.com. You helped me a lot!!! My 5 years old daughter easy spots differences :) and im wondering where did she learn that if she didn't start school yet. Although related, they split into separate genera a long time ago. Although they look similar, they are genetically too far apart. Every year, there are hundreds of reported crocodile attacks in Egypt. In Water: They're both much more agile and fast in water where they can use their long, muscular tails to propel their bodies forward. If I see either one,though, I'm running away! I now know the difference between crocodiles and alligators, but I have a doubt. The smallest species, the smooth-fronted caiman (Paleosuchus) and the dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis), reach about 6 feet in length as adults. Crocodiles tend to be a light tan or olive colour, whereas alligators are usually a dark blackish-grey. In particular, the fourth tooth on each side of a crocodile’s lower jaw sticks up over the upper lip. differences between alligators and crocodiles! In India each year, large numbers of people are killed by the mugger crocodile.