In an interview given in the early 1980s Frances said: It was a wet Saturday afternoon and we were just mooching about with our cameras and Elsie had nothing prepared. “Cursed by the Fairies”, express.co.uk, 10 May 2009, archived from. Doubt those two girls were aware of Gray ETB’s in 1920. I EVEN GIT TO FILM IT. [9] Gardner had the prints “clarified” by Snelling, and new negatives produced, “more conducive to printing”,[6][7] for use in the illustrated lectures he gave around the UK. Elsie and Frances eventually married and lived abroad for many years. Look at Iris’s [Elsie’s] face. Interest in the Cottingley Fairies gradually declined after 1921. Gardner believed the Wright family to be honest and respectable. It must be too hot for them there.”[5]. They were singing to me saying “You can’t find her because she’s a man….” These are such high dimensional beings it’s said way cool…Not all little fairies are good, there’s said to be some evil one’s that have 4 wings and not the navigation abilities of fairies or bees who I heard fly by frequency vibration and only have two wings, the evil one’s have human bodies and wings to fly and the same size but sort of a cannibal parasite of some kind. Elsie had copied illustrations of dancing girls from a popular children’s book of the time, Princess Mary’s Gift Book, published in 1914, and drew wings on them. Knowing his daughter’s artistic ability, and that she had spent some time working in a photographer’s studio, he dismissed the figures as cardboard cutouts. [25], By now Elsie and Frances were tired of the whole fairy business. [20], Until 19 August the weather was unsuitable for photography. Proceeds are donated to charity. On the back she wrote “It is funny, I never used to see them in Africa. [2], Elsie’s father, Arthur, was a keen amateur photographer, and had set up his own darkroom. I saw these fairies building up in the grasses and just aimed the camera and took a photograph. Last week my husband and I went for a walk with our dog and as I was briskly walking I saw something move near a huge rock but I didn’t really bother with it, then again so I turned to the side and there it was a tiny peach colored fairy walking and I was like “omg did I just see a fairy?” but didn’t say anything to my husband I just kept walking then I stopped abruptly because a little wild bunny went running almost in front of me. tho im not so sure with the bigger fairy. Copyright 2019 RealFairies.net and Natalie Hajjar | All Rights Reserved |, A Dryad Explains the Best Way to Communicate, Real Fairies Radio Podcast, Episode #8: Angels/Pixies/Bird People/Your Questions, https://photos.app.goo.gl/V6WjfVkUa6bn9VjH9. Doyle, as a spir… As a result, the photographs were displayed at the society’s annual conference in Harrogate, held a few months later. Dad came home from France the other week after being there ten months, and we all think the war will be over in a few days … I am sending two photos, both of me, one of me in a bathing costume in our back yard, while the other is me with some fairies. In the early 1980s Elsie and Frances admitted that the photographs were faked, using cardboard cutouts of fairies copied from a popular children’s book of the time, but Frances maintained that the fifth and final photograph was genuine. They haven’t been on view at all so it’s nice for someone else to see them.”. I’m so happy to know that they are real and that other people believe in them. [6] One of the central beliefs of theosophy is that humanity is undergoing a cycle of evolution, towards increasing “perfection”, and Gardner recognised the potential significance of the photographs for the movement: the fact that two young girls had not only been able to see fairies, which others had done, but had actually for the first time ever been able to materialise them at a density sufficient for their images to be recorded on a photographic plate, meant that it was possible that the next cycle of evolution was underway. [12] Doyle had been commissioned by The Strand Magazine to write an article on fairies for their Christmas issue, and the fairy photographs “must have seemed like a godsend” according to broadcaster and historian Magnus Magnusson. The picture on the photographic plate he developed showed Frances behind a bush in the foreground, on which four fairies appeared to be dancing. Our logo, banner, and trademark are registered and fully copyright protected (not subject to Creative Commons). Interestingly, in the 1980’s, Ronnie Bennett, a forester in Cottingley Woods, came forward with a fairy encounter he had while working in the Cottingley Estate Woods: When they showed themselves about nine years ago there was a slight drizzle around. [43], In 2017 a further two fairy photographs were presented as evidence that the girls’ parents were part of the conspiracy. BUT ITS A WEIRD STORY. [14] Kodak declined to issue a certificate of authenticity. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 9. I was in a house next to a woods with a creek which I think is key. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. [“Fairies, Phantoms, and Fantastic Photographs”. Smith, Paul (1997), “The Cottingley Fairies: The End of a Legend”, in Narváez, Peter (ed. For me it’s a no brainer like I can not only see but feel sentient life looking at the photo! I always loved this story. [20] In a letter to Gardner he wrote: “Look at Alice’s [Frances’] face. For those who don’t know the entire story of the Cottingley Fairies, here are links to more information: http://www.prairieghosts.com/fairies.html, To prove that the fifth is 100% real there’ s a double exposer you can see a lining of a wing that matches the fairy dead center and real fairies are transparent. , I never knew there was a 5th photo! [7], Gardner sent the prints along with the original glass-plate negatives to Harold Snelling, a photography expert. Borrowing Elsie’s father’s Midg quarter-plate camera, and with the use of coloured paper cut-outs and hat pins, the two girls staged their scenes near the stream at the end of Elsie’s garden. Imo the side profile winged lady is a fake and that other one it looks like the others! The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright (1901–1988) and Frances Griffiths (1907–1986), two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. Atterbury estimated the value of the items at between £25,000 and £30,000. [9] As before, the photographs were received with mixed credulity. When you look at them now, that does seem pretty obvious. They came all the way into my house and tickled me in the neck. He again brought cameras and photographic plates for Frances and Elsie, but was accompanied by the clairvoyant Geoffrey Hodson.