Stir it into melted butter and brush over… anything. 5-10 sprinkles green Tabasco sauce 4 minutes. 1.5 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning 1 Tbsp chili powder 1 Tbsp salt 1 Tbsp pepper 1 Tsp cumin 1 Tsp paprika 5-10 sprinkles green Tabasco sauce 1) Brown ground beef on medium high in large stock pot and set aside, retain brownings and grease. Add half of the beer to descale pan once onions soften. Or serve immediately, if desired. event : event, I recommend sticking with true beer flavors (wheat, hops, yeast) and avoiding a seriously contemplative IPA, anything spicy (Chai beer is right out), or anything else heavily non-beer flavored (what’s even the point?!). Basically, Old Bay + mayo + anything = more, please. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. As you might imagine, a crab frittata would readily welcome it too. Lower heat (low). Substitute it for garlic powder in homemade cheesy bread. We covered egg salad already, but simple scrambled eggs and omelets also benefit from a touch of Old Bay, as do eggs Benedict, especially if they involve seafood. 2 Tsp tomato bouillon OR 1 can condensed tomato soup Great on seafood, but also everything else. Shake some on your pizza! It’s also a delicious trick for chicken wings. The blend tastes good on pretty much everything, and with some smoky flavor from the grill, it’s dynamite. 1 can kidney beans For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. I know what you’re thinking, “what tomato?” I actually don’t like to prepare my chili with fresh tomatoes, as I think they really take away from the other textures going on in the finished chili. For 75 years it’s ruled the spice rack as The Definitive Seafood Spice, with a world-famous blend of 18 herbs and spices. Nourishing children and staying under budget. Use it on avocado toast. If you’ve had good seafood, then you’ve probably had Old Bay — we don’t make the rules, that’s just how things are. By all means, sprinkle it liberally on all your steamed shellfish and in shrimp salad, but try it in these other ways and see if it doesn’t become your go-to spice cabinet secret weapon. We’re sure you’ll find plenty of other uses for this beloved blend, but that’s a good place to start. Bring to a boil. Once the onions have enjoyed their time on the hot seat and are slightly softened, reduce the heat slightly, and add half of the beer to the pan. When the steam has settled, and the happy couple is simmering away, re-introduce the beef to the party (don’t worry, they’re all good friends). Turn the heat down to low, and prepare the remaining ingredients for cooking. Add a tablespoon and a half of Old Bay to your stew pot. Mix it into goat cheese for a fancy spread. They’re almost as addictive as crab chips, but slightly better for you. Old Bay Seasoning is a must on steamed blue crabs, but Chowhounds love it with lots of other foods, too. Now that we’ve got that cleared up, here’s what you’ll need for the recipe: The base of the chili is constructed from ground beef, onion, and beer. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a platter. 1 can Cannellini beans (or other) Sprinkle it on freshly baked crinkle fries. It adds a brilliant punch of tomato flavor without adding an unnecessary amount of water to a dish. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Use it in a bloody Mary. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. 15. Now excuse us while we go order another can. On a side note, after the initial stir, I taste tested and went back to add more Old Bay, pepper, and Tabasco. As the flavors mingle and some of the components break down, you are left with some delicious, delicious flavors. It’s easy to assemble and gets better with age – if it manages to even make it to becoming leftovers, that is! Make Old Bay hollandaise for your benedict. } She loves coffee and crafting, and enjoys settling down with a good book. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the lump crab meat. You may unsubscribe at any time. }); window.mc4wp.listeners.push({ And a white clam pie is likely to be another prime candidate for this treatment…. 1 Tsp paprika You may also like. I prefer to use a local or seasonal brew (pictured here is a bottle of Flying Dog Hefeweizen, both local AND seasonal), but you can use any wheat beer, pale ale, or stout. When somebody whips out the little yellow can, you know you’re in for a good time. Here’s a description from the official site: There are two things you need to know about OLD BAY® Seasoning: 1) it’s great on seafood and 2) it’s great on everything else. Though as mom to three kiddos in three years, she realistically spends most of her time reheating her coffee and typing away like a crazy person on a laptop keyboard while surrounded by (clean) cloth diapers and cheddar bunnies. This is another tip endorsed by greygarious, and it’s great. Mix it into BBQ rubs, marinades, or sauces for chicken, seafood, or even pork and beef. 5. If you’re baking chicken wings, sprinkle some on before putting them in the oven. It may be difficult to find Maryland beers outside of the Mid-Atlantic states, but once you’re done crying over that sad, sad fact, head to the liquor store and pick up your favorite wheat or pale ale. In Chesapeake Bay area, it’s on every dining room table, nestled between the salt and pepper shakers. Bake a batch of Old Bay cornbread. Tomato bouillon is a lovely powdered tomato product that you can find at a Mexican specialty store or in the Spanish/Mexican section of your favorite grocery store. Add it to your eggs. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. 5. You are going to want to add a whole can of kidney beans and Cannellini beans (or black beans, or pinto beans, or Great Northern beans, or…) You have some flexibility for the second bean depending on your family’s preferences or whatever you happen to have on hand, but I definitely recommend at least one can of kidney beans. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. It works in gazpacho too. Stock up on the classic stuff or make our Old Bay copycat recipe, then prepare to use it on all sorts of things besides seafood: 1. The old recipe used to be on the original Old Bay® can. Use it to spike cocktail sauce or hot sauce (Chowhound amethiste makes an easy mixture with ketchup, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, and Old Bay that would be perfect for dipping shrimp). If you are truly beer-averse, the chili can be made with beef stock. Raising Rystedts is where I share thoughts on nourishing young hearts, minds, and our world through creative living.