Clodagh. As a feminine given name it is rather unusual outside of Ireland. © 2020 Wild Sky Media All rights reserved. Clodagh as a girls' name is pronounced KLO-da. Clodagh (/ˈkloʊdə/ KLOH-də)[needs Irish IPA] is a female given name of Irish origin. A sprightly Irish green. My friend's middle name is Clodagh. Lady Clodagh married Claud Anson, son of Thomas Anson, 2nd Earl of Lichfield, and had a daughter who later wrote, "She called me Clodagh too and hoped, in vain, that we'd be the only two." Clodagh, Irish interior designer based in New York City, Learn how and when to remove this template message, John Beresford, 5th Marquess of Waterford, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Clodagh&oldid=953372195, Articles needing additional references from July 2017, All articles needing additional references, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Countess Clodagh, the fiancé of the narrator in, Sister Clodagh, a main character in the 1939 novel, Clodagh Pine, character in Maeve Binchy's, Clodagh Piper, mother of the heroine of the 1994 novel, This page was last edited on 27 April 2020, at 01:41. What are her siblings named? Famous real-life people named Clodagh In the fifth book of the series, Seer of Sevenwaters, she becomes … Like many rivers in Ireland it is named after a female deity. Based on the Tipperary river in Ireland, also called the Clody. PART OF WILD SKY MEDIA | Family & Parenting. The "cloddy" aspect of the name has prevented it from spreading beyond Ireland, but that could change. Famous namesakes are singer Clodagh Rodgers and chef Clodagh McKenna. This is one of my favourite Irish names. A popular choice in Ireland, Clodagh was the name of a river and later a saint. Looking for the perfect name? It was first bestowed upon the daughter of the Marquis of Waterford in the early 20th century. Charming...and green. It is of Irish origin. [1] Lady Clodagh married Claud Anson, son of Thomas Anson, 2nd Earl of Lichfield, and had a daughter who later wrote, "She called me Clodagh too and hoped, in vain, that we'd be the only two. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration! Lady Clodagh Anson, daughter of John Beresford, 5th Marquess of Waterford, was named after the River Clodagh, which flows through the Marquess's estate at Curraghmore at County Waterford. It comes from the river Clodaigh, which goes through the Irish county of County Tipperary and through County Wexford. Know a Clodagh? Like many rivers in Ireland it is named after a female deity. Clodagh Lawlor is an Irish Folk/ Country Singer from Co.Clare. The name Clodagh is a girl's name of Irish origin. "Her Name Is Clodagh" | A Claire Byrne Live Special - YouTube It comes from the river Clodaigh, which goes through the Irish county of County Tipperary and through County Wexford. "[1] The name Clodagh is popular in Ireland but is little used elsewhere. Clodagh is the female protagonist of the fourth book of the Sevenwaters series, Heir to Sevenwaters, where she meets Cathal, one of her cousin Johnny's men, who would become her husband. She has a twin sister, Deirdre, an older sister Muirrin, and three younger ones: Maeve, Sibeal, and Eilis. Irish Baby Names: Top Choices Here and There, Celtic Baby Names: Whats doing in Dublin and Dundee. Clodagh is an English, Gaelic, and Irish name of Latin and Celtic origin. Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014, Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland 2014, Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010, Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012, Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012, Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland. The name Clodagh is popular in Ireland but is little used elsewhere. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC. Please add to or correct the information provided by other members of the Nameberry community. Listen and learn how to pronounce Clodagh so you can get the correct pronunciation for this Irish girl name. I love this name but I think the spelling might be a tad off-putting. Meaning of the Irish name Clodagh. A popular choice in Ireland, Clodagh was the name of a river and later a saint. MEANING: The river Clody runs through County Tipperary and County Wexford and like most Irish rivers is named for a local female deity. The "cloddy" aspect of the name has prevented it from spreading beyond Ireland, but that could change. You will receive an email (no more than once per day) summarizing any new mentions of Clodagh on Nameberry. namecandy - Celebrity baby names, ask the Name Lady, & more. Try the Would you like to follow Clodagh? Clodagh originates in Irish language and is taken from the name of the River Clodagh in County Tipperary and Waterford in Ireland. The name Clodagh is a girl's name of Irish origin. I love this name. Clodagh (pronunciation: Clo-da) is a female given name, which comes from Ireland. Clodagh is a female given name of Irish origin. Clodagh is the third (or second) daughter of Lord Sean of Sevenwaters and Aisling. As a given name, it appears to have been first used by the Marquis of Waterford for the name of one of his daughters. Clodagh (pronunciation: Clo-da) is a female given name, which comes from Ireland. Very pretty and charming. We're excited that you have an opinion about the name Clodagh. She never tells anyone because she thinks it's embarrassing but I think it's really pretty. Lady Clodagh Anson, daughter of John Beresford, 5th Marquess of Waterford, was named after the River Clodagh, which flows through the Marquess's estate at Curraghmore at County Waterford. In Irish mythology, Clodagh was the goddess of water. We don't know of any famous people with this name Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you! Since her beginnings, Irish Folk and Country Music has been an important part of her career inspired by artists such as Mary Black, Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, and others, her music connects with audiences from different cultures around the … Famous namesakes are singer Clodagh Rodgers and chef Clodagh McKenna. © 2020 Nameberry.com. To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Clodagh, try our name generator. The first name is derived from the name of a river in County Tipperary, Ireland. I had a friend once whose name was Clodagh, we lost contact overtime but she was very sweet and I always loved her name. These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Clodagh. Nameberry is a registered trademark of Nameberry, LLC.