[Laughs.] This is very different from your other selections. She was a consistent writer, too; I think she wrote a book every year for much of her career. COPYRIGHT © 2020 SIMON & SCHUSTER INC, A CBS COMPANY. Not all friendships are peaches and cream. I love a friendship triangle, or a seesaw between two people where there are shifts in momentum. 3 Lauren Mechling has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Slate, The New Yorker online, and Vogue, where she writes a regular book column. Though I read it over a year ago, I just vividly remember Reva, glugging Diet 7-Up, obsessed with her fake Gucci purses, or going to Pilates and talking about her nights going out to gay bars in the West Village. A character won’t openly express her thoughts about the other person’s life choices, but they will obsess over them. And it boomerangs right back at our narrator’s self-consciousness. Over the course of a hopefully fun-to-read, fast-moving novel, I try to articulate these formerly unspeakable dynamics, and the feelings that women experience in relationships with other women. It’s a very interesting patchwork quilt of a book. The most amazing scene is at the end, where suddenly the distance between the two melts away and Rachel’s obsession with Heather is just thrown back in her own face. It started right after the election with lots of people walking around like zombies, and hugging people who you never even used to say hello to but saw every morning. Something that’s been simmering, something that’s been the status quo, will suddenly prompt one person to disrupt the ecosystem of a friendship and say ‘I can’t do this anymore.’, Read How To Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy But when I read this on my own steam, still I couldn’t stop underlining. I named my daughter (Louisa Pym) after her! It seems like their colleagues put up with them, are waiting to get rid of them, and maybe give them little fake tasks. It’s very off-balance, which is really interesting. Flour, eggs, butter, and sugar all join together to make a cake; paper, scissors, and tape wrap a beautiful present. The main storyline of How Could She takes place from New Year’s to New Year’s over the course of 2017. Especially with the effect of time. In this cinematic, evocative memoir, long-time journalist and food scholar Jessica Harris recalls in vivid color her youth in 1970s New York and her circle of friends who defined a generation. The book itself is a manifesto of how to be a good friend to yourself. But little details stuck with me. She announces at the beginning of the book, you know what, I’m going to come to New York, I’m ready to make it here, on the verge of 37. Florence, an eighty-four-year-old on the brink of death, takes what could be her final moments to reflect on the dark secrets she and her best friend, Elsie, have kept from each other over the years. 1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by. The follow-up to Joanna Cannon’s acclaimed debut, THE TROUBLE WITH GOATS AND SHEEP, THREE THINGS ABOUT ELSIE explores the complexity of lifelong relationships. They’re also feeling a little put out by this new situation, because they don’t want to have a mess to clean up after. Absolutely. Right. I love this book. It was published in 1977, but it has this late 60s, early 70s flavor to it—this chartreuse aesthetic. Then, one hot summer day, he meets the artistic, confident Dante, another young loner, who shows Ari how effortless and enlightening true friendship can be. Five Books aims to keep its book recommendations and interviews up to date. I’m also interested in the idea of the context-based friendship: the deep connection that can form between people simply because they’re sharing some experience together. Where was the shame? Alice Martin is a PhD candidate in English Literature at Rutgers University, where she obsesses over nineteenth-century women writers, the history of the publishing industry, and writing practices. Plus, get a free eBook when you join our mailing list. I’ll notice, say, a beautiful formation of ants moving around. So there’s an obsession in this book with meddling concern. I chose it for a very autobiographical reason: a very good friend of mine put the book in my hands recently, and it was the greatest act of friendship. The power it has for sacrifice. I know. It was a way of acknowledging to myself what resonated with me. It’s through visiting Sunny that she sees what at first is a mystery to the reader. Protesting injustice, sassing their elders, and sometimes saving the world. But re-reading it a month ago, I was horrified. It’s impossible not to measure yourself against your friends. In the penultimate paragraph, she says, talking about Mike in this line, “I never asked Sunny for news of him, or got any, during all the years of our dwindling friendship.” So she kills this one relationship, this lifeline to her. Winner of the 2018 National Book Award for Fiction, THE FRIEND is a meditative exploration of loss, grief, and the spiritual connection between human and animal. How long have you been writing this book? Board book. Just in that single stroke, our character dismisses all men. I’m not proud of my internal monologue, but I feel it, too. I think you’re right. Only for Munro to extinguish it in the end. After losing more than $62,000 to Anna on a lavish vacation, Rachel begins a lawsuit that will reveal the power of greed and envy while ultimately taking down the woman she thought was her friend. Sometimes I choose to share pairs of books that are thematically related. Really, it’s Rachel who’s trying to take hold of Heather’s life. Crazy things are happening. Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison and Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. Does the Trump presidency function in a similar way in How Could She?