Kevin Wagar is a professional traveler and family travel expert living in the Greater Toronto Area. I assure you that Thunder Bay and the area surrounding it is even more beautiful in person. If you’d like to continue up to the Mount McKay summit, there are hiking trails that take you along the cliffs to the very top. Has a park for children. Check out our Thunder Bay video to see even more amazing things to do in Thunder Bay, Ontario. And the best way to do that is with a sailing adventure with Sail Superior. This ongoing event has become one of the largest fundraising events for cancer research in the world. He died the following year. One thing that I and my friends have found fun is to visit the location at night. We were fresh off of our Indigenous road trip through Ontario when we visited Thunder Bay, so we wanted to make sure to take in some of the rich Indigenous heritage that this area boasts. This city is ripe with industrial history from mining to farming. This spot overlooks the lake from high atop the cliffs with tracks of the Canadian Pacific running below. You can check out their hours here. There are three ski-lifts and a great selection of hills from beginner to black diamond. Required fields are marked *. So it’s easy to understand why boating is such a popular pastime in Thunder Bay. And there are so many amazing things to do in Thunder Bay, that making the journey is becoming increasingly popular for families from Ontario, Quebec, and Manitoba. Views from the Thunder Bay overlook in Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. With the birth of their two boys, Kevin and Christina have made it their mission to show others that traveling with children isn't as scary as it sounds and that kids can benefit from experiencing the world outside of their front door and beyond. Many of the spots offer memorable views of fall color. Despite their relatively easy access, these spots can give you a sense of seeing something that other people have yet to discover – especially true when no one else is around. you can check out our Sault Ste Marie to Thunder Bay driving guide here, The Best Things To Do In Thunder Bay, Ontario, Ride The Wind On A Lake Superior Sailing Adventure, Wander The Thunder Bay Waterfront and Marina, Explore History At The Thunder Bay Museum, Have A Waterfall Picnic At Cascades Conservation Area, Learn The Fur Trade At Fort William Historic Park, Take In The Views From The Tallest Point In Ontario, Experience Some of The Mouthwatering Flavors Of Thunder Bay, Hike and Camp At Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, Drink In The View Of Kakabaka Falls Provincial Park, Bounce Along Canada’s Longest Suspension Bridge at Eagle Canyon Adventures, Upper Canada Village near the Thousand Islands, check out their pricing and availability here. Terry Fox monument near Thunder Bay, Ontario. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The park is off Trans Canada Highway 11/17. • 109 W. Superior St. #200 • Duluth, MN 55802 • 218-722-5002 • edit@LakeSuperior.com, The Marquette Regional History Center Presents: Third Street: Day and Night, a Video History with Jim Koski. If you’re looking for things to do in Thunder Bay on a bright and sunny day, this is one place that should be near the top of your list. Camping is available at Kakabaka Falls from June to October. Beautiful view as well of The Sleeping Giant. It was one of our favorite places to visit in Thunder Bay. (Overlooks that require difficult hikes are on hold for another story.) Alona Bay, south of Lake Superior Provincial Park with an accessible pulloff, “is a great spot to watch the rolling waves when the lake is rough,” according to Carol. The City of Thunder Bay just put in a new play ground at the park that attempts to blend into the natural surroundings. Here are my favorite things to do in Thunder Bay, Ontario. read more, One of the telling characteristics o this park is that it is always full of locals, at pretty much... The Prince Arthur has big, beautiful, comfy rooms, and a fantastic staff who will gladly walk you through some of the, often unbelievable, stories of the hotel’s history. And while the breathtaking road trip to Thunder Bay is something that must be experienced to be appreciated, just being in Thunder Bay and drinking in the views of Lake Superior and the mammoth Sleeping Giant make a trip to Thunder Bay a worthy getaway. I remember him and his story vividly from my childhood. If you’re enjoying the waterfront, don’t miss the delicious Bight restaurant. There is a pedestrian footbridge that is under repair, and that should greatly improve access when it’s finished. All rights reserved. The canyon is a unique geological area as well. This overlook “is really easy for people to walk to,” she says. Explore the trading post, the First Nations village, and even the local farm. Terry Fox is a man who the world, as a whole, owes a giant debt to. Searching for gems at Amethyst Mine Panorama. With one or two exceptions, these are easily accessible to most people even if some walking is involved. This tasty treat was a creation of the Persian Man bakery, but can now be found at a few places around the city. barry Seymour The fun doesn’t stop at the borders of the Thunder Bay. You’ll be eager to tell your friends and share your photos once you get home. 'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs"); ©2020 Lake Superior Publishing LLC. As we wandered the flower-lined paths, the popularity of this beautiful park was apparent. Encountering the Sea Caves from Lakeshore Trail (also called the Mainland Trail) in Apostle Islands National Lakeshore requires a hike, but the scenery is worth it. We’ve compiled a list of scenic lake overlooks with suggestions from people who know the region, including great landscape photographers and people working in tourism and parks. I'm stunned that you didn't include many of the scenic overlooks in Marquette, including Presque Isle, Sugarloaf Mountain and Marquette Mountain. Whether it’s your first or 10th visit doesn’t matter. What an inspiration. Be sure to watch carefully for the turnoff, then pull off Highway 61 at the wayside stop (milepost 148) between Grand Portage and the Canadian border.