I cannot bear the pain any more. Considering the verb forms again, we know that "bare" means to uncover while "bear" means to endure. In this instance, the person is being asked to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. The present participle of bear with is bearing with . Get Grammarly. So, the expression technically translates to "endure with me" or "endure this with me." Translate bear in context, with examples of use and definition. "Bear with me" simply means to "hold on a moment" or "hang on for a moment." Perhaps you'll include one or two in your next piece of writing. That might cause a moment's hesitation too. Present Continuous Tense. "Reveal with me," doesn't quite have the intended meaning of "hold on a moment." How about starting with discrete and discreet? So, if someone's being asked to "bear the brunt" of something, it's referring to endurance again. Rather, you'd reference the verb "bare," meaning to uncover. The present participle of bear is bearing . You/We/They bear. An example would be, "He was asked to bare all when he took the stand in court." Use Grammarly for mistake-free writing. Mood: How to Use Tone and Mood in Your Writing, 5 Writing "Rules" That Are Really Guidelines, Beware of These Common Consistency Issues in Writing. “Bear with me, this is going to be brutal.”. The Bullman family beared witness to a black bear sitting like a human on a picnic table in their backyard. In this instance, you wouldn't refer to the verb "bear," meaning "to endure." Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. As a verb, "bear" means to cope with or to endure. "Bare" does make it into at least one common expression. He/she/it bears. Of course, when many people think of the word "bear," their attention turns to the scary grizzly bear outside the cabin door, rifling through the trash cans. So, bear with me or bare with me: which is correct? You have been successfully subscribed to the Grammarly blog. Examples You bear. The past tense of bear is beared . When spoken, we don't have to think about the correct spelling. The past participle of bear with is borne with . You can bear a child, bear a responsibility, ask someone to bear with you, bear a heavy load or bare your teeth. To "bear with me" is to endure something with me. I have beared. Tone vs. For something to be bare bones, it must be minimalistic or empty. As such, it means the speaker didn't offer a lot of detail but, rather, just the basic elements. Here are some online examples that use the phrase correctly. That's certainly the definition of "bear" in its noun form. "Bear" and "bare" have made it into a couple other common expressions. Bare is a verb that means to “to uncover.” However, if you keep in mind that the verb bear means “to endure” or “to be patient,” the expression“bear with me” will make sense. Ah, what a wonderful language English is. Do you have them straight in your mind? Confusion arises in the verb form, especially in the past tense. Bare and bear sound alike so it’s easy to imagine why people confuse the two. He/She/It has beared. For example, "His speech on dolphins was nothing but bare bones." Usually, when someone's asking you to "bear with them," they're not asking you to literally endure some awful fate with them. 1. Past participle - borne. Present participle - bearing. You learned that bear as a verb means “to endure.” In its noun form, bear refers to a large furry animal. Singular. What about "bear the brunt"? The Internet is full of mistaken uses of homophones in expressions such as bear with me and bare with me. Combining these two definitions into a silly sentence will help you remember that the correct phrase is “bear with me,” not “bare with me.” A patient bear will always bear with you, but an impatient bear just might devour you! You learned that bear as a verb means “to endure.” In its noun form, bear refers to a large furry animal. But when it's time to put it on paper, it's hard to know if the correct expression is "bear" with me or "bare" with me. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. The third-person singular simple present indicative form of bear is bears . Well, the long and short of it is that, in its verb form, "bare" means to reveal or uncover. The past tense of bear with is bore with . Or, "He wound up having to bear the brunt of his brother's mistakes.". She passed to her eternal reward on Wednesday, 14th Aug., after a long illness which she, He has suffered a very long illness which he, Dropping a borescope down the tube revealed a nicely finished, One type is a round chrome moly steel liner that is button rifled to produce an ultra-smooth. For example, "Nothing was left, except the bare bones of her apartment." In this context, it makes sense why "bear" is the way to go and not "bare" with me. I bear. Bare with me doesn’t mean what you might think it means! The verb bare means “to reveal” or “to uncover.” The correct expression, “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.”, Confused about spelling? If someone is asked to "bare all," they're being asked to expose everything - whether that's the truth or their body. You might also hear someone mention they were asked to "bare all" in an art class. The past participle of bear with is borne with. An example would be, "She was asked to bear the brunt of her family's misfortune." Here, we're dealing with "bare" as an adjective, modifying the noun "bones." Consequently, "bear with me" is the correct spelling of this common phrase. Bear With Me or Bare With Me: Which Is Correct. Present Tense. Here's the word you're looking for. But when it's time to put it on paper, it's hard to know if the correct expression is "bear" with me or "bare" with me. "Bear with me" simply means to "hold on a moment" or "hang on for a moment."