Depending on the saltiness of the stock, the soup might need another teaspoon of salt and some pepper. Best Bean Soup This soup was way over the top. Return the oxtails to the pot and add the broth, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Quick & Budget-Friendly Suppers with Canned Beans, 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed, 1 (14.1 ounce) can 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 1 (5 ounce) package baby spinach (6 cups), © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rich-beef-barley-soup-recipe Tasty! Here is some guidance from a registered dietitian on foods and drinks that may help you feel just a little bit better if you get sick with COVID-19. Pros: Quick easy very very tasty with my modifications! Hot soup on a cold day is something I just can't get enough of. Add the oxtails, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until browned all over. I think you could probably use Kale or any other greens you have on hand. Few changes I made: I used cup or so of leftover cooked brown rice so omitted a couple steps there; added one small finely diced jalapeno (ribs and seeds removed) when I added the garlic; used one box low-sodium vegetable stock no other liquids other than the juice in the fire-roasted diced tomatoes; did not mash the beans so less liquid was necessary. The consistency came out similar to the onion. I just wanted to slam it with some chili powder or something. Hard to find good soup recipes that don't use tons of salt. Mash 1/2 cup of the beans. Pros: Simple quick one-pot, Winter vegetable delight! Made a delicious meal although we agreed the soup was so filling we didn't need the sandwich. Bring to a boil over high heat. Soup tastes great. 30 minutes is not long enough to cook barley – most instructions I see ask for 55-60 minutes and I ended up leaving the soup on for about that long. This hearty bean and barley soup tastes like it has simmered for hours, but actually it's quite quick to throw together. Next time I will definitely chop up the baby spinach because it clumps a bit. The barley helps to make this soup filling and robust. It makes plenty to feed a hungry family, plus it freezes beautifully so leftovers can be … Serve hot, with or without the oxtails. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Nutrition Try these tempting barley soup recipes for lentil soup, beef barley soup, hamburger soup, stone soup, mushroom barley soup, chicken barley soup … It was good and very filling. All Right Reserved. Discard the thyme bundle and the bay leaves, and skim off the fat. Pros: Very hearty easy stores well. Based upon a few of the reviews I read I did make a few adjustments but overall it was great. Pros: Not much prep work keeps well freezes well Cons: makes a ton. I was very pleasantly surprised with how this soup turned out. Barley can lend a rich, earthy flavor to any dish–including barley soup. I made this soup tonight but substituted swiss chard for the spinach because that is what I had on hand. Pros: Hearty great ingredients easy to make Cons: less flavorful than hoped for. If you have cooked barley on hand, omit the quick-cooking barley and stir in 1 1/2 cups cooked barley … Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, Just Like Grandma Used to Make: Why We're Craving Grandma's Cooking Now More Than Ever, How to Make Those Viral Hot Chocolate Bombs at Home. I love to use my garden produce in this veggie-packed soup. Between the barley and the mashed beans this was very filling as a main dish. Trying it again tonight … However it lacked real flavor. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, drain, and set aside. Hubby said this is a keeper and that's a real compliment from him. And last I added some seared sliced Italian chicken sausage to boost the protein content. But 99% of the smell and taste cooked off - zero licorice taste. Michigan like most of the Mid-West got hid with a pretty bad snow storm so I wanted a recipe I could make from things already in my pantry so I had to substitute some ingredients. LOVE IT! Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks), 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced carrots (4 carrots), 2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved, Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Dairy-Free Cream of Wild Mushroom and Barley Soup. I paired this with the open face tuna melts. I LOVE this soup! I didn't change a thing and it was great! This is a good hearty recipe. This warming vegetable barley soup uses easy-to-find produce and frozen veggies, making prep simple and easy. I will say that I have 2 picky vegetarians in my home and they enjoyed it. All there was to chop was onion and fennel bulb. EatingWell may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Remove the oxtails with a slotted spoon and reserve. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I originally created this turkey barley soup as a way to use Thanksgiving leftovers. I made this sup just now and it is really great! This hearty bean and barley soup tastes like it has simmered for hours, but actually it's quite quick to throw together. It's a nice crunchy alternative to celery. I also used chicken stock instead of veggie. This is a very hearty soup mine turned out more stew like so it was like a steoup! Pros: Easy and Flexible recipe Cons: none, One of the BEST soups I've made this year! Cons: None! The fennel really worked to add flavor too. What Should You Eat If You Come Down with Coronavirus? To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Soups Barley Soups. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. It's soooo flavorful and healthy. Hearty but lacking We made this soup tonight during a winter storm. All rights reserved. Info. Try these tempting barley soup recipes for lentil soup, beef barley soup, hamburger soup, stone soup, mushroom barley soup, chicken barley soup and more. Plus this recipe for healthy bean and barley soup freezes beautifully. Also did not have fire roasted tomatoes so I used regular ones. Jump on the latest food trend with our step-by-step guide to making hot chocolate bombs.