This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The needle is then pushed into the piece of meat, going along the grain, using a twisting motion. You may have heard of wrapping meats in bacon to add fat and flavor to the meat. All Rights Reserved. BARDING: Lean meat can be wrapped in pork fat to keep it moist and help retain the shape of the meat. Your email address will not be published. To learn more about me... Read More…, I had at one time a ‘larder’ with a wooden end that looked more like a door knob, round with a flat end to enable you to ‘push’ the lard into the section of meat. Hi, there are a feew larding needles on ebay. Wrap a thin layer of fat around the outside of the meat and tie in place with string. As the meat cooks the fat melts and internally bastes the meat. As the beef cooks, the fat will melt into the meat keeping it moist and adding some additional flavor to it. Another technique, called larding, involves threading strips of fat through the interior of the roast, as opposed to wrapping it in layers of fat. ");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;lb||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split(". A method of placing fat, such as bacon or fatback, around lean meats or fowl that are to be roasted so they will absorb additional moisture and fat to keep them from drying out. Larding is especially useful on game meats like venison, which are typically very low in fat and can be dry. I hope to run into him some more to pick his brain and learn more about meat. Any flavorings or seasonings added to the fat will season the meat from within. Larding is actually placing lard or other fat, or bacon, into the meat, laying it within the fibers of the meat in strips. These strips of fat are called lardons or lardoons (lard à piquer). Larding is inserting long strips of fat into the cut of meat to keep it moist when cooking. Barding is what I just described above – wrapping lean cuts of meat with thin slices of fat. The video below demonstrates this type of larding needle in use. A related practice, larding, involves inserting pure fat into a cut of meat with the assistance of special tools. This instrument has a hollow tube of around 10 inches long, with a handle made out of wood or other material. Thread the needle with chilled pork fat, then pull through. Today I had a pleasant experience while shopping at one of our local supermarkets.