The names are very simple and descriptive. From the March/April 2020 issue of Acoustic Guitar | By SEAN MCGOWAN. Get Info On Some Great Courses Choose Your Lists, I give consent to TheBluesGuitarist.net to collect and use my details via this form, True Fire Blues Guitar Lessons Online Australia, Guitar Success System Learn How To Play Guitar Success Stories, FREE Jam Tracks For The Total Blues Guitarist, Intro To Tommy Emmanuel’s Finger Style In Guitar Milestones, Tommy Emmanuel-Learn House Of The Rising Sun, Basic Guitar Lessons Learn To Play Guitar Chords, Learn Blues Guitar Book Of History For Insights To The Blues – Steve Davis Marketing, Learn Blues Guitar Online And Its Unique History, Acoustic Guitar Blues With Rory Gallagher, Amazon Streaming Music Unlimited-Free Trial. There aren’t braces or bridges inside the guitar to interfere with the sound, either, or dampen the volume. I have an acoustic Gibson Super 400 non-cutaway from 1947 that is without a doubt the best guitar I've ever played. The innovation was immediately popular and such models became the standard for archtop guitars. The archtop, on the other hand, arches up and does not have a level top. These days, I just play acoustic archtops. An acoustic archtop is what you play for others to enjoy. In 1951, Gibson released the L5CES, an archtop that featured two electric pickups. Sort of the opposite of a Les Paul which is ironic since the same pickups are in both. That is very cool. The defining characteristics of an archtop guitar are its arched soundboard and f-shaped holes. The instruments were eventually adopted by other guitar manufacturers. The archtop guitar, on the other hand, has an arched top and a sound hole or holes carved in the (approximate) shape of an "f." The latter instrument was invented at the end of the 19th century. These musical forms adopted the instrument almost immediately after the release of the modern version in the early 1950s. Until that time, all guitars had been flattop. Archtop guitars have a rich, vibrant tone that’s suitable for solo playing and music that heavily features guitar sounds, so everything is designed for optimum sound quality. It is my opinion that a flat top guitar bridge moves more like a boat on water in that it rolls and pitches in a way that spreads the acoustic vibrations around the top of the instrument. If you put a guitar down on a flat surface, the flat top guitar with have a flat, level top. A true archtop guitar has a rich acoustic tone, but as mentioned, most models are fitted with electric pickups. The sound hole of a flattop guitar is found and placed under the instrument's strings.