Top subscription boxes – right to your door, And Their Refinement of the Decline [Vinyl], See all details for And Their Refinement of the Decline [Vinyl], © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. it's hard to tell. var s = document.createElement("script"), el = document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0]; s.async = true; The last paragraph could be broken up a bit and it mentions "And Their Refinement of the Decline" 6 times and somehow it just stood out and bothered me a bit. This stripping down and moving away from easily definable mood makes And Their Refinement of the Decline a bit harder to grasp initially than any previous SOTL record. No vocals to get in the way and you may even become too relaxed to get anything done! display:none; the first paragraph feels like a non-sequitur compared to the 'review' bulk of the second paragraph. googletag.cmd.push(function(){ _comscore.push({ c1: "2", c2: "6772046" }); i think it also might be missing a comma. Album Rating: 5.0Will fix.... this was written in literall fifteen minutes, so I might just rewrite later. -why- are they relevant? you should change it up a little. "Therefore, the results are clear: And Their Refinement of the Decline is one of the most artistically divine releases in recent history." el.parentNode.insertBefore(s, el); And that recalls the band’s other big influence: Phillip Glass. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Copyright The Closure Library Authors. And Their Refinement of the Decline is a nearly two-hour opus that at times dares us to deny that it can, in fact, be classified as music. With music like this you can't afford to have distracting crackles and pops and thats what you get constantly with this vinyl copy. display: none; That makes an average of four months spent on each of the 18 pieces here. window.__d3lUW8vwsKlB__("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"); This is music that treads a confident path between the immersive experiments in sustained tones of Pauline Oliveros and La Monte Young, and the more elaborate yet still muted works of Gavin Bryars and Harold Budd. I got this when it first came out on cd and my love for it has only grown over the years. mostly 'paid attention to like'. Stars Of The Lid’s new album, And Their Refinement Of the Decline, has been a long time coming. The backward-looped guitar on “Even if You’re Never Awake (Deuxieme),” so strangled and mewling it sounds like a woodwind instrument, is Refinement of the Decline‘s most memorable moment. album reviews, live music reviews, interviews, features. Please trust me on this, this album on VINYL is a waste of your money. } source: function( request, response ) { switch 'last' to 'youngest' if so. }); In the six year period from 1995-2001 they released six albums, graduating from the long, languorous pieces of guitar drone and found sound on 1995’s Music For Nitrous Oxide to the long, languorous suites of drones, strings and even brass on 2001’s The Tired Sounds Of. } $('#leftColumn').height($('#rightColumn').height()-250); And Their Refinement of the Decline features minimal, droning compositions of varied length created from treated guitar, horn, piano, and other classical instruments. It's not like their aren't great tracks here, there are some pretty enchanting pieces, as well as some rather more serious and emotionally demanding ones. by legbagede: Mon May 18 2015 at 23:51:25 "I would define as baroque the style that deliberately exhausts (or attempts to exhaust) its own possibilities and thus borders on self-caricature." Audio: http://www.myspace.com/starsofthelid, “Apreludes (in C Sharp Major)” MP3: [audio:http://brainwashed.com/common/sounds/mp3/stars_of_the_lid-apreludes_in_c_sharp_major.mp3],

John is 26
and lives in
Los Angeles. He teaches high school social
studies, as he's done since graduating
Tulane University in New Orleans. }); Now, in 2007, we have the new SOTL, and, judging by surface values alone (two hours long, 2 CDs/3 LPs), it’s tempting to refer to it as The Tired Sounds Of, Mark II. More appropriately, how did I miss this band? padding:20px; :visited { Text-Decoration : None; color: #333; } Adam Wiltzie and Brian McBride, the duo behind Austin, Texas-based Stars of the Lid, are clearly going against the grain. var term = request.term; Album Rating: 3.0zebra is a retard also, i've come to the conclusion, after reading it in full, that this review doesn't tie the two paragraphs together well enough. maybe say something like 'often you will find that [insert 'statistic']' or something. And “Hiberner Toujours,” a shrimp among whales at just longer than a minute, makes gorgeous use of harmonizing cellos. The backward-looped guitar on “Even if You’re Never Awake (Deuxieme),” so strangled and mewling it sounds like a woodwind instrument, is. also, fuck chris jackson!. I've listened to many flavors of ambient music through the years, and this is some of the best. The mind boggles. "And though they say if you love something, let it go, you will never want to let this album go." Album Rating: 5.0hopefully the way i formatted it (really quickly) is easy enough to read/understand. a:hover { text-decoration: underline; } "Though this underground release comes late in Stars of the Lid's career, it has been paid attention to like, if not more so, a first-born child." Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. } }, function(bids) { :link { Text-Decoration : None; color: #333; } Touching a listener with its utter beauty, this album never tires nor does it lose any of its impact. (function(){/* No relaxation, no enjoyment of something so beautiful. if($('#leftColumn').height()+250 > $('#rightColumn').height()) alert("DANGER! Sounds pretty good dunno how I've never heard of it before. apstag.fetchBids({ Stars of the Lid doesn't give a damn about any experimental "indie" scene nonsense either. It’s all the more galling when considering the band’s publishing history. Album Rating: 3.0great review.