This cake has a nice buttery color, and a fairly firm texture. No chemical leavener, just air that is beaten into the eggs. A Victoria Sponge was the favorite sponge cake of Queen Victoria, and has since become a tried-and-true recipe for tea-time sponge cakes. Cleaning your home doesn't have to be a daunting, time-consuming chore. With so many types of house styles, narrowing the list down to your favorite can be overwhelming. LOONEYPROFESSOR thanks sharing Mom's recipe, it's a winner! When they're ready, they will hold a ribbon when the beaters are lifted from the bowl (see photo). Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minute. Depending on what's growing in your garden, there's a lot you can do to get your ornamental plants ready for the colder months. I hope that you will enjoy this one. Probably the most iconic British cake, a good Victoria sponge should be well-risen, moist, and as light as air. I made this last night for strawberry shortcake and it turned out awesome even with one error on my part and a substituted ingredient...thus 5 stars for a forgiving recipe. They're essential to holidays and casual gatherings. Thanksgiving Countdown: A Stress-Free Guide to Hosting for the First Time, 23 of Our Test Kitchen's Best Cookie Recipes of All Time, Make Your Fireplace a Focal Point with These 26 Mantel Decor Ideas, Is It Possible to Host a Safe Thanksgiving Dinner IRL? Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. My DD requests it every year for her birthday for 2 years now. Here's what we predict to be trending in the coming year. Note: hazelnuts may be toasted or untoasted. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Kasutera is a Japanese traditional sponge cake. Make sure to really chill your fillings before whipping--overnight would be best--or they won't fluff up properly. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. After beating for 2 to 3 minutes, the yolks will be the right color, but probably not thick enough. May be cut into layers and filled and iced with lemon filling, or with whipped cream. Serve with additional whipped cream, if desired. You roll it up jelly roll style, and then decorate it to look like a log. This cake was traditionally a birthday cake in my friend's home. What have you got to lose? Bake as directed in the recipe, using the doneness test given in the recipe. Before measuring flour for your favorite sponge cake recipe, stir the flour in the canister to aerate and loosen it. Some recipes call for folding the egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites, then folding in the flour mixture. This cake is great for any occasion even birthdays and special occasions. Here's What the CDC Says, 5 Simple Ways to Prepare Your Garden for Winter, 21 Essential Baking Tools Every Home Cook Needs (Plus 16 That Are Nice to Have), 9 Ways to Decorate Your Front Door for the Holidays, What Style Is Your House? Remove from pan and cool completely. This is one of my mother's favorite special occasion cakes. Grab a glass of milk because we're about to dunk peanut butter cookies, oatmeal-raisin cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, and many more of our all-time favorite cookie recipes. This cake uses Chinese techniques to make a French inspired, and extremely moist, sponge cake. A traditional Australian treat that appeals to most. Will recycle to cakepops. This is a key point in making sponge cake. A light sponge cake soaked with a mixture of three kinds of milk. Will definitely be making this again for all sorts of fruit desserts! The classic European sponge cake. This winter front door display is layered with holiday cheer. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Italian Sponge Cakes in 5. However, sponge cakes are richer than angel food cakes because they contain the egg yolks as well as the whites. I scaled the recipe down to 6 servings, used an 8x6x2 baking dish, and ended up with six round cakes that split horizontally were just about perfect for layering berries in the center. As soon as peaches come into season (very soon), this will be made again. Here's how to tell the differences between each architectural style. This is the BEST Tres Leches recipe I have. Why not try this citrus cake on a very hot summer day? Get the recipe for our Walnut Cake with Caramel Whipped Cream. For most sponge cakes, you can tell when the cake is done by touching the top lightly with your finger. Since I'm allergic to milk soy and eggs. Use a spatula to cut down vertically through the mixture. Lamingtons are little sponge cakes coated in chocolate and grated coconut. Still they're lighter than chiffon or butter cakes because they contain little or no butter or oil. Thank you for the recipe and I plan to play with more vanilla substitutes (like fresh lemon). I used just over 1 cup and it was great. It is a sweet and delicious treat! This is a simple sponge cake that can be made in no time at all with only three ingredients. Although real Chinese dinners usually end with a piece of fruit, Western influence has caused a few changes. First I replaced the vanilla extract with a tablespoon of honey (no vanilla onhand). If your recipe calls for beating the yolks separately from the whites, beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-color. Her mother is from Hungary and only has this recipe in her head! Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean and cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 25 minute. A Victoria Sponge was the favorite sponge cake of Queen Victoria, and has since become a tried-and-true recipe for tea-time sponge cakes. Note: Some recipes call for beating the egg whites and yolks together, and adding sugar during the process. 6.4.16 This was the perfect choice for strawberry shortcake. But it does. If the recipe specifies a toothpick test, insert a wooden toothpick near the center of the cake. This is a moist and tender cake with plenty of orange flavor. Really easy! With its angel food-like texture and its delicate flavor of honey, this cake is just perfect. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. In this case, follow recipe instructions. At this stage, the tips of the egg whites will curl when the beaters are lifted. I followed the direction to a T...I like the flavor cake itself did rise inside the oven...took it out and flipped on a cooling rack and came out flat and dense.